Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer AspireOne 751h on Jaunty

Beans

Acer AspireOne 751h on Jaunty

AA1 751h is an 11 inch netbook with great design and Intel Atom Z520 1.33 CPU inside, 1Gb RAM and 160 GB HDD. It's based on Intel Poulsbo (actually US15W) chipset, with GMA500 graphic chip - it has basic 3D and advanced hardware video decoding capabilities. Keyboard is big for netbooks - 99% full-sized laptop keyboard, screen is great and bright and the 6-cell battery really gives a 7-8 hours to this netbook.

I've installed Ubuntu Jaunty via the netboot, and this stage doesn't require much attention here, all went smoothly.

Next, one-by-one, using 2.6.28 default kernel:
    0) Good things. Almost everything worked out-of-the box:

• Sound - with default Jaunty's ALSA 1.0.18rc3 sound works well. It has the Realtec ALC272 chipset and uses HDA Intel driver(hda_intel).
    • WI-FI - works great, without any problems discovered. ath5k driver is used. Leds seems not to work, but I saw it mentioned in 2.6.30 patch.
    • Bluetooth - works great.
    • HDD. Here is the hdparm test:
    • # hdparm -tT /dev/sda1
      /dev/sda1:
      Timing cached reads: 896 MB in 2.00 seconds = 447.31 MB/sec
      Timing buffered disk reads: 180 MB in 3.01 seconds = 59.89 MB/sec
    • CardReader - I tested it only on SD-HC card, works perfectly.
    • Hibernate/Sleep Mode - works out-of-the-box, no problems with restore - sound,net,video works as before.
    • Touchpad and USB devices - no problems.
    • Total boot time is about 40 seconds. Pretty nice for default installation.

1) Bad things.

1. X.Org - first thing you see is distorted and slow Xorg. it uses default driver(vesa, I guess) and Poulsbo driver should be installed separately. Fortunately, it's easy:
    • - add the following line at the end of /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobile/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
    • - execute the following commands from command line:
    • sudo gpg –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv 0×99d6b21cc6598a30; sudo apt-get update;
    • sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-psb
    • I also installed libgl1-mesa-dri-psb_0.25-0ubuntu1~810um1.1_i386.deb from http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mobi...-mesa-dri-psb/ manually, cause didn't find it in repository Packages list.
    • Restart the system(or restart X and 'modprobe psb' before) and it nicely will bring 1366x768 with basic acceleration.
    • Here is glxgears output:
    • $ glxgears
      1153 frames in 5.0 seconds = 230.592 FPS
      1171 frames in 5.0 seconds = 234.018 FPS
      1165 frames in 5.0 seconds = 232.928 FPS
      1154 frames in 5.0 seconds = 230.570 FPS

2. I noticed hangs a few times - mouse was moving, but all the system freezes. My guess is about CPU temperature - I installed sensors applet to check and I'm almost sure that this freezes are connected to the CPU temperature raising. After googling, I saw the acerhdf module(which responsible for fan and temperature control for Acer Laptops) was added in 2.6.30, and installed the kernel from Karmic Koala Alpha, which is 2.6.31-rc3. I did a stress CPU load and saw the temperature raising, but system works well. Anyway, I can't be sure, cause the other possible reason is the psb-driver, which has proprietary binary code and could be the problem as well. But the psb kernel module doesn't compile on kernels > 2.6.28 yet.
    UPD: I've made a patch to allow psb kernel module work with 2.6.31-rc3, but the system still hangs, and seems the problem in the PSB X.Org module

So, I will try to make it work and hope it will not take too long to wait until the GMA500 will be supported at 100%.
    I don't need a 3d on the netbook, but the web-browsing speed is slow.. And it's definitely the problem of video driver, not a CPU. Default mplayer(with -vo xv and framedrop=soft) plays regular divx/mpeg4 movies very well, and I'm able to play even 720p HD clips(not movies) - and this is without hardware acceleration enabled. As for the last, I followed this steps:
    http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/bl...i_acceleration
    but it doesn't work for me yet - the newly built mplayer fails on -vo va. Will try more a little bit later.

A few most relevant logs attached, maybe it will help someone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by divan0; July 18th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Beans

Re: Acer AspireOne 751h on Jaunty

Attached psb-kernel-source patch and X.org to allow psb kernel module works in 2.6.31-rc3 kernel.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by divan0; July 18th, 2009 at 05:43 PM.

Beans

Thank you for working on the Poulsbo driver!

I have an MSI X320 (Atom Z530 and GMA500) which doesn't run smooth under Ubuntu at the moment. Hopefully your work will help me out as well!

If there is anything I can do, let me know.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for your topic, I hope the poulsbo driver will be stable soon!

Beans

any chance to make a ppa repository for karmic?
    or how to compile for 2.6.31?

thanks
    Luca

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

Check this thread and guide out it might help you out in tweaking the video setting on the GMA500.

Ive gone though several hoops to see what works and what doesn't. With 3d Enabled the Freezes are from some conflict with USB devices best we have been able to tell.

So if everyone can join up who has netbooks with GMA500's on them maybe between all of us we can get something to work.
    Dell Mini 10 - 10.10 GMA 500 Display in 9.04 and 10.10
    ASUS Laptop U57A - Xubuntu 12.04

Beans

lucazade, you can try my patch in second message of this thread to build driver on 2.6.31.

sammyboy405, great contribution, thanks! Are that freezes really was connected to USB devices? I had only mouse plugged in.
    That laptop was a present, so I cannot check your instructions right now, but once I'll get it again, I write the experience with your configuration applied.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

divan0,

Can you help me apply your patch? Just a couple quick steps would be great!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does your front mic (next to the webacm) work? it does not in my case. Best. carlos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

neither does the wifi work for me.......
    Last edited by crgutierrez; September 27th, 2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: quote was a mistake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast