Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to add desktop icon?

  1. #1
    oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    How to add desktop icon?

    OK silly basic questions here. I just installed Acroread. However, when I create a link to it on the desktop all I get is a generic folder type image and not the proper logo icon. So how do I add the logo Icon so it looks decent?

    Also on launch I'm getting a message that its not a trusted application. How do I add it add it as a "trusted application"?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near Albany, NY
    Beans
    763
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    As far as the icon goes, you can go into properties for the launcher and click on the icon on the top left and pick your own. If you choose something from one of the menus and right click and say create launcher I believe it will make it with the correct icon.

    I have never seen the trusted app message so I am not sure where to point you on that one.
    Nils

    My System: 9.04 - Dell Latitude D620, Video: Intel 945GM, Audio: Intel 82801G, Wireless: Intel 3945ABG, Ethernet: Broadcom CM5752, Bluetooth: Toshiba Internal

  3. #3
    oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    Quote Originally Posted by NilsE View Post
    As far as the icon goes, you can go into properties for the launcher and click on the icon on the top left and pick your own. If you choose something from one of the menus and right click and say create launcher I believe it will make it with the correct icon.

    I have never seen the trusted app message so I am not sure where to point you on that one.
    Yes I tried that. The problem is that the icon within launcher properties is just a the "blank page with folded corner" symbol and when I click on it takes me to the places/files. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the "generic file" icon on the desktop has the locked symbol on it?

    I was a tad suprised I didnt get a "proper" icon when I installed it TBH. I went to software sources added to the repositories and then used sudo apt-get acroread to install. While it apears to work ok (except the trusted app msg) the lack of icon looks a bit grotty!
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    When you attempt to update the icon location, try putting this in as the address:
    /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/AdobeReader9.png
    If you don't have Reader9, your version's icon should be in the general area.
    GRUB2

    Retired.

  5. #5
    oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    When you attempt to update the icon location, try putting this in as the address:


    If you don't have Reader9, your version's icon should be in the general area.
    Yes I have Reader 9. The thing is this. I add that address, or go down the file tree, and when I get to that icon "add" on the left is greyed out. So I click on "open" and it closes the window and I'm back at properties again at square one!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    If it's merely an icon problem and not something more complicated:
    I navigate/paste /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/ and select "Open" in the lower right. Sometimes the icons display, but other times I have to hit the lower right "cancel" and then the icons appear.

    Here may be another way around it. Substitute where you want the icon to permanently reside for the Desktop location in the example:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/AdobeReader9.png $HOME/Desktop/
    sudo chown yourusername $HOME/Desktop/AdobeReader9.png
    Then use the icon in the new location as your icon.
    GRUB2

    Retired.

  7. #7
    oxf is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: How to add desktop icon?

    Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    If it's merely an icon problem and not something more complicated:
    I navigate/paste /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/ and select "Open" in the lower right. Sometimes the icons display, but other times I have to hit the lower right "cancel" and then the icons appear.

    Here may be another way around it. Substitute where you want the icon to permanently reside for the Desktop location in the example:
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/AdobeReader9.png $HOME/Desktop/
    sudo chown yourusername $HOME/Desktop/AdobeReader9.png
    Then use the icon in the new location as your icon.
    OK I've almost sorted it! Before trying your sugestion I noticed that the permissions were different for this icon than my other desktop icons, i.e the owner was root as opposed to me. I went to terminal and used gksu nautilaus and changed the permissions to my username and also checked "allow executing file as progam" That alowed me to change the icon (and also takes care of the "trusted user" issue).

    The only thing is the Icon has a arrow pointing out of the upper right corner? this is the only one of my desktop icons that does. Can I get rid of that?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •