Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ralink RT73 USB Wifi Driver (patched for injection & frag) + DKMS in Jaunty (9.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Ralink RT73 USB Wifi Driver (patched for injection & frag) + DKMS in Jaunty (9.04)

This guide uses p_larbig's RT73 USB enhanced drivers instead of the serialmonkey drivers because p_larbigs's are based off of the serialmonkey drivers, but have been already patched for Injection & Fragmentation Attacks, so you can utilize aireplay-ng in Aircrack-ng to its fullest.
    The guide also helps you build and install the module with DKMS (which is natively supported in Jaunty 9.04), so that if you recompile your kernel or upgrade it later, the module will be automatically rebuilt and installed for you, by DKMS

For more info on p_larbig's RT73 USB driver sources:
    http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/

Notes about this version (3.0.3) from the author's site:
    Version 3.0.3 provides kernel version 2.6.29 compatibility. It uses default kernel memory allocation for devices' private data area. This may fail on 64bit platforms (according to RaLink). In previous versions the driver allocated its own memory and hacked it into the netdev structure. This hack failed in 2.6.29 and has been removed. However, the new mode works for me quite well. Please report if any problems occur.
    The wireless card I tested this on is a DLink DWA-110 USB, the system I tested this on is a clean install of Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 with all updates as of 17/7/2009 (including the stock kernel 2.6.28-13).

Blacklist the mac80211-based rt73usb & rt* drivers to avoid conflicts
    create a new file in /etc/modprobe.d called blacklist-rt73.conf
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-rt73.conf
    and paste the following in it:
    Code:
    # Blacklist rt73usb (mac80211) as it's beta and conflicts with the 
    #  stable ieee80211 based rt73 module
    blacklist rt73usb

# Other modules that possibly conflict with rt73
    blacklist rt2500usb
    blacklist rt2x00lib
    blacklist rt2x00usb
    Download the latest version of the RT73 USB Enhanced Driver
    (in your home directory or in /tmp or wherever you like, it will no longer be needed after)
    Code:
    wget http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2
    tar xjf rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3.tar.bz2
    cd rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3
    you should now be in the top-level directory you just extracted ( rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3 )

Prepare DKMS config
    create a file in rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3 directory, called dkms.conf
    Code:
    nano dkms.conf
    and paste the following in it:
    Code:
    PACKAGE_NAME="rt73-k2wrlz"
    PACKAGE_VERSION="3.0.3"

# make sure kernel is 2.6.27 or newer, just in case
    # http://homepages.tu-darmstadt.de/~p_larbig/wlan/
    BUILD_EXCLUSIVE_KERNEL="2.6.(27|28|29|[3-9][0-9])"

MAKE[0]="make -C Module"
    CLEAN="make -C Module clean"

BUILT_MODULE_NAME[0]="rt73"
    BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="Module"
    DEST_MODULE_LOCATION[0]="/kernel/drivers/net/wireless"

AUTOINSTALL="yes"
    Create a traball archive of the source directory (with our dkms.conf in it)
    Code:
    tar czf rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3-dkms.tar.gz rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3
    Load the rt73-k2wrlz tarball to DKMS source tree
    Code:
    sudo dkms ldtarball --archive=rt73-k2wrlz-3.0.3-dkms.tar.gz
    Build rt73 module with DKMS
    Code:
    sudo dkms build -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3
    Install rt73 module with DKMS
    Code:
    sudo dkms install -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3
    Insert you RT73 USB Wifi adapter and it should be automatically detected, and automatically configured for you by NetworkManager or WICD (whichever one you use) if you have either installed. I use NetworkManager, and it automatically detected my DLink DWA-110 USB soon after I plugged it in
    Or alternatively you could install RutilT
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rutilt
    Author's site: http://bonrom.cbbknet.com/
    RutilT is a Gtk+2 utility for Linux that helps you configure your wireless devices. It should play nicely with the "legacy drivers" from the rt2x00 project. I initially intended to support rt2x00 itself, however due to real life constraints, I am no longer doing much development, only maintenance.
    More info on making RutilT run in startup:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=502526

Hope this helps anyone
    Last edited by jasmineaura; October 8th, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Frankly, if you're connected to the internet, there's simply no excuse for this level of ignorance. It's willful. - tsm_sf on /.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ralink RT73 USB Wifi Driver (patched for injection & frag) + DKMS in Jaunty (9.04

This was extremely helpful and accurate. Thank you!

Beans

Re: Ralink RT73 USB Wifi Driver (patched for injection & frag) + DKMS in Jaunty (9.04

Hi i am a linux nubbie when i do
    # sudo dkms build -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3
    i get this

Error! The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
    does not match this kernel/arch. This indicates that it should not be built.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My Edimax EW-7318USG uses the rt73usb device.

With the default rt73usb, I have to blacklist rt2500usb, which seems to interfere with it. However, I have found the connection to be very unstable with rt73usb.

With this driver linked above (new RT73), my WPA router is not correctly recognised by Network Manager (seen as WEP); hence it doesn't work.

In case anyone else wants to remove it:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3 --all
    Last edited by ugm6hr; August 1st, 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dr_jk View Post
    Hi i am a linux nubbie when i do
    # sudo dkms build -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3
    i get this

Error! The dkms.conf for this module includes a BUILD_EXCLUSIVE directive which
    does not match this kernel/arch. This indicates that it should not be built.
    You're probably running too old of a kernel...

If you still want to ignore this and try to compile it on your old kernel, comment out the BUILD_EXCLUSIVE line in /var/lib/dkms/rt73-k2wrlz/3.0.3/build/dkms.conf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    My Edimax EW-7318USG uses the rt73usb device.

With the default rt73usb, I have to blacklist rt2500usb, which seems to interfere with it. However, I have found the connection to be very unstable with rt73usb.

With this driver linked above (new RT73), my WPA router is not correctly recognised by Network Manager (seen as WEP); hence it doesn't work.

In case anyone else wants to remove it:
    Code:
    sudo dkms remove -m rt73-k2wrlz -v 3.0.3 --all
    Wow, the detachable 4dBi High Gain Aerial Antenna on that thing looks sweet, and it supports WPA2+AES

Anyway, this can happen a lot of times with a lot of cards with several wifi drivers.. Heck, it even happens under windows

Try the following:

Method 1:

1. Try stopping Network Manager before inserting your wireless USB
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
    2. Insert your wireless USB, start Network Manager, and give it a few seconds to initiate and scan for your AP again
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    If your wireless is still not showing up as WPA, try setting it to WPA manually in Network Manager. Right click your NM tray icon, click Edit Connections, go to wireless tab, add/edit your ESSID, uncheck "connect automatically" if it was previously added, go to authentication, choose WPA manually, enter your password, then connect manually.

If that doesn't cut it, try Method 2.

Method 2 (special support):

1. Install RutilT
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install rutilt
    2. Stop Network Manager
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
    3. Bring up your interface (you can also do this in step #4 from within RutilT itself after you switch to priviliged mode to be able to toggle "interface up/down"
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig rausb0 up
    4. Start RutilT from the menu, or from command line `rutilt`
    5. Click the tray icon for RutilT, choose your rausb0 interface if it pops up (happens usually if you have another wifi interface built-in/connected) asking you to choose interface (it should say something like "special support" next to it)
    6. Go to the "Site Survey" tab and click scan, and see if your AP ESSID shows up with the correct Auth/Cipher..
    7. Add a profile for it, which should show up in Profiles tab, and choose that to connect to your AP with that profile (dont rembember exactly the steps, as I'm not at my laptop right now)

Screenshots:

Hope this helps...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineaura View Post
    Hope this helps...
    Thanks for the work. But...

NM still only sees it as WEP, irrespective of what I try.

Rutilt sees WPA, and connects correctly. However, the connection is even more unstable than NM + rt73usb driver

Still looking at other options. Ralink have an RT2501 driver here: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html
    But this doesn't appear any better either (so far).

Beans

Great post. Got the RT 73 driver installed with jasmineaura's description. Wicd Manager finds now the WLan. If I try to connect, it try's to get an IP from the DHCP but is not successful. I tried to connect manually via the terminal. And I got finally after several attempts : No IP offered by DHCP. However, if I connect wired to the router, then there are no problems. If I connect wired or wireless from Windows, again no problem to get IP from DHCP.

Not sure what the problem is.

Here is what I get from ifconfig:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0a:e4:21:3c:c9
    inet6 addr: fe80::20a:e4ff:fe21:3cc9/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:1692 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:1214 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1159204 (1.1 MB) TX bytes:239846 (239.8 KB)
    Interrupt:10

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:23:75:c0:ce
    inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
    Interrupt:10 Base address:0xc000 Memory:e0203000-e0203fff

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:6960 (6.9 KB) TX bytes:6960 (6.9 KB)

rausb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1f:1f:31:cb:cb
    inet6 addr: fe80::21f:1fff:fe31:cbcb/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:5186 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:5816 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    RX bytes:543570 (543.5 KB) TX bytes:489662 (489.6 KB)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Thanks for the work. But...

NM still only sees it as WEP, irrespective of what I try.

Rutilt sees WPA, and connects correctly. However, the connection is even more unstable than NM + rt73usb driver

Still looking at other options. Ralink have an RT2501 driver here: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...ort/Linux.html
    But this doesn't appear any better either (so far).
    Did you try the USB adapter under windows? does it work any better?
    Have you considered the fact that it might be defective?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Bergschaf View Post
    Great post. Got the RT 73 driver installed with jasmineaura's description. Wicd Manager finds now the WLan. If I try to connect, it try's to get an IP from the DHCP but is not successful. I tried to connect manually via the terminal. And I got finally after several attempts : No IP offered by DHCP. However, if I connect wired to the router, then there are no problems. If I connect wired or wireless from Windows, again no problem to get IP from DHCP.
    Never really used WICD, but I suspect it's a WICD specific issue.. Try installing RutilT as described above, stop WICD temporarily, and see if RutilT resolves your issue... If it worked, you might want to investigate why it didn't work with WICD...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast