Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What to do to get women into Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: What to do to get women into Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
    Flash is easy to get for Ubuntu from Medibuntu, you know.
    hehehe, no lady...,
    he say the Flash Editor, a program to build Flash animations.

Whatever theres Flash For Linux,
    and SwishMAX Flash Editor (Freeware) works nice on Wine.
    Adobe is replaced by Free software in most cases.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: What to do to get women into Linux

...Women; They alreadu tend to have enough to deal with and more important things to worry about then installing LINUX. For Example: Birthing, PMS cycles, etc...
    LOL

so, I love linux because I have never had PMS or children.
    ok

an interesting idea there

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    PowerPoint is so abysmal. Sadly, due to MS bundling it, nothing else gets a look in.

Ask Cecilia about Scala

It completely annihilates powerpoint in everyway conceivable.. And has always done so right from the early 1990's.

It was even available for Windows platform.

So why did PowerPoint become the defacto presentation programme even though it is so Uber crap?

Could it be that someone has been stifling innovation ?
    Scala was great - and like most Amiga programs just simple to use!!

these days there's a program called Hollywood which is supposed to "replace" powerpoint. one of these days I have to try this out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Install it on your missus' or mom's computer.
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Install it on your missus' or mom's computer.
    Even better - help her learn to install it herself. Step back from the keyboard

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    As a disclaimer, if anything I say in this post is considered offensive, it was not at all intended.

I am 19 years old, I am a male, and I have skimmed through some of the posts in this forum and a lot of them point out the lack of women in the computer field and causes of it, but no solutions.

Problem solving is typically something guys like to do, and if you were to summarize computers in a few words, they do nothing but calculate, rationalize/solve, and ensure precision. That being said, the nature of computers isn't very feminine (I am not saying at all that this is a problem).

So, I want to know what it is women want that would attract them to computers, not just Linux. I want to include all women, including ones that know nothing about computers.

What I have noticed is women are typically crafty in a physically, metaphysically, abstractly (if thats a word), and even emotionally way. I noticed that some (not all) females choose what makes them feel more comfortable over something that may be more efficient or useful. I have also noticed that most computer-illiterate females use Macs. A Mac, in my opinion, is flashy, stable, secure, simple, and targeted toward artists (music, video, and picture artists). There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this, but it again leads to my original question - what do girls and women want to use a computer for something more?

I don't care about posts about games, since all 3 major OSes can game and that is just a preference no matter what gender you are.
    I think women are more superficial than men and they also dont enjoy spending time fixing computer problems for the same reason they dont like changing tires on cars. It doesnt give them any emotional feedback since they have no interest in it.

Most women are probably smarter in more ways than men are. They tend to notice details better and they usually have great memories of what has been said or done. Im amazed how every women in the office notices every time someone has a new tie or new shoes they havent worn before. Or how they can tell me what someone said, almost sentence by sentence, from a phone call a week earlier. Absolutely amazing.

So how to make a operating system appeal to women? Any OS that looks flashy, is intuitive and just works in a natural way will be a success. Its pretty much what guys want too I think, even though we may value advanced functionality over prettiness a bit more.

What do you think, am I right or wrong? Its difficult to discuss this without making generalizations, if not impossible, so...

Also note that these differences between the genders are more of less 100% because of upbringing and society. On a planet with 100% women, you would still have the same percentage of the population fixing cars, no doubt.
    Last edited by Copernicus1234; August 14th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LepeKaname View Post
    I wanted to introduce my wife into Linux. So I changed the wallpaper, windows decoration, icons, etc... so it looks just as she likes: Something more friendly (eye candy).

I want it to show her that Linux looks better than the default Windows interface. However, she start to complain about things that she can do in Windows that she can't in Linux. For example, to be able to see the thumbnails of her powerpoint files and the content snapshots in folders. But mainly that OpenOffice is not stable (or do not response as MS Office) and that MS Office with wine is too slow (when loading images inside PowerPoint) and some issues that need to be fixed in wine...
    Er...yeah, OpenOffice's presentation thing is just plain hard to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by LepeKaname View Post
    Then I learned a lesson: It doesn't matter how it looks as long as it do what you need and in an easy way.
    Depending on what you're doing the software may be easier or harder to use. For my mom, the desktop itself (the applications menu and all) is easier enough to make Ubuntu easier than Windows overall.
    Quote Originally Posted by therocco2k View Post
    Afterall, Women; They alreadu tend to have enough to deal with and more important things to worry about then installing LINUX. For Example: Birthing, PMS cycles, etc...
    Er...having cramps doesn't make it impossible to hack or geek out. I had cramps the night I was at a KDE developer's birthday party and helping one of the Kubuntu developers figure out one of the settings in the upcoming Kubuntu Netbook Edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by therocco2k View Post
    The fact is most Computer users in general are male, and in my closing statment I would like to say this Topic should have been figured out about 20 posts ago.
    Um...no. Most people use computers nowadays. Unless you're like 80 and still dead-set on all letters being handwritten with proper penmanship like they were 70 years ago, you probably type letters on the computer and either print them or email them. The largest gamer demographic is middle-aged women playing in-browser games. Teenage boys and girls alike spend the majority of their free-time talking to each other via text messages and instant messages (what? did you forget cell phones are computers?).

Holy crap this thread is full of mansplaining!
    Last edited by macogw; August 16th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Holy crap this thread is full of mansplaining!
    Hehe... it's been one of the more entertaining threads in my subscription list.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandwormblues View Post
    Chicks dig Adobe software.

seriously. I can't get any of my girlfriends hooked on Linux because they all use Flash or Premiere or Indesign or something.
    Well, it seems like Femke Snelting, Ludivine Loiseau & Yi Jiang and their male colleagues of Open Source Publishing dig applications like The GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus & FontForge. What's more, OSP won a major Belgian book design prize doing so.

Most graphics professionals (and serious amateurs), both men an women, were taught to use Adobe products and/or have used them for years already, so that's what they know, and many of them are wary of "losing" time learning something new (especially if they don't see any extra value in it). And maybe people like the OSP members are forerunners of a new generation in some way, a bit like the early Amiga adopters were in their days (BTW: Blender has some origins on the Amiga too!).

More to the point, it would be nice if people wouldn't generalize and stereotype so much. Have a look at people's background, and start from there. And be honest; e.g. don't tell them Inkscape is (always) as good as Illustrator if they are into design for print (but maybe point them to sk1 which supports CMYK process colours & spot colours?). You can also point people to stories from other people who came from a similar background and switched to Ubuntu (or open source more in general), or use those stories to help them. That would help a lot more to get more women and men involved in open source & Ubuntu than all the "men are like this and women are like that" theories.
    Last edited by macogw; August 17th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234