Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do to get women into Linux

Beans

Red face Re: What to do to get women into Linux

First and foremost, the topic of this thread is really a form of stereotypical nature. It's like saying why do African Americans tend to smoke newport's more then any other cigarette brand. It's not that Women don't use Linux just because they are women, here's why:

Now - I Think the REAL topic is why do so many MEN use Linux instead of Windows?
    That question could be just as an anomaly as why women rather use Windows, and I'll break it down for you anyways so you can finally put this post TO REST.

My first argument about why more men use linux then windows is that men are - Competitive, always want to be bigger and better even if it's less convenient, men are generally more prone to Car Accidents then women.

Now I think the Absolute and Final answer to this entire thread's Topic is answered by the above statements. Men are generally more prone to doing everything to the extreme. For a woman, Windows is a Computer and Linux isn't even a word they know. Now, Why is this? Because when a woman goes to BUY a computer, what OS does it come equipped with? Windows. And why would a woman change what already works perfeclty fine for their needs? Continue reading...

Man

Woman

For the very same arguments I gave about men doing everything matcho, most male Linux users dont even need Linux and just use it because it's Different, and rare upon computer users, that my friends is exactly why men install it. Men want to go to the Extreme in all aspects of life, even computers. Why just use Windows, when I can install Linux and be DIFFERENT and EXTREME.

Afterall, Women; They alreadu tend to have enough to deal with and more important things to worry about then installing LINUX. For Example: Birthing, PMS cycles, etc...he fact is most Computer users in general are male in the first place.

The fact is most Computer users in general are male, and in my closing statment I would like to say this Topic should have been figured out about 20 posts ago.

Men Want To Do Everything Bigger and Better than EVERYBODY ELSE. Women, only when absolutly needed, WILL use linux - but MEN - Well Men will use Linux just because It's not windows, and it looks cool.

Could I Please get an Amen,

I would like to know what you guys think about my post and my argument, and if they Agree with Me. For all I know, there's a few people that just want to keep this thread going even though alot of people have already posted great answers that answer the topic question,

So - Do You now understand why more men use linux then women, or in my
    half full glass, Why More Men Must use Linux, even when there is absolutly no reasonable reason for them to use it.

Thank you for taking the time to read my Thoughts on this Question, I hope I shed some light on the Creator of this Thread.

R.V.C
    rcastoro@verizon.net

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: What to do to get women into Linux

I agree with you therocco2k. I could just add a little bit more. I think in general it is not matter of men or women, its more related to each one's interests. For example, there are people that enjoy to go shopping, and they can expend a whole day in shops even without buying! I could say that women tend to do that more than men.

But its matter of interests...

When you buy your car, are you the kind of people that like to "redesign" it? add it special tires, radio, etc? I could say that men tend to do that more than women.

So, what about Linux?

Linux is just one more thing. I will try to quote my wife:

You must be passionate about computers to spend more time of the necessary with them
    As it is with shoppings, as it is with cars, and any other thing around us.

So Linux is for those people that want something that Windows can't give them: as to be DIFFERENT, to be EXTREME, to be FREE, to be COOL, to be BETTER, or whatever is your reason...

As you said, I think the "sexist" statement about Linux and women should be finish.
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans

Ha. I'm a guy (apparently by my name lol), and I just converted a woman and her husband to Ubuntu. She loves it. She hates Windows, and has told all of her friends about Ubuntu and that I set it up- she's in my "Extended Support" now, and I have three more people on the waiting list. (Two of them are women)

So maybe there are just less female geeks.

-Z

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, im a men from Argentina, im thinking...
    why "how to do to get women into Linux" need to be different from "how to do to get men into Linux"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

why "how to do to get women into Linux" need to be different from "how to do to get men into Linux"
    Totally agree!
    I think it should be: "how to go to get windows users into Linux"

which "mustangzach" had an interesting solution:

she's in my "Extended Support" now
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Hidden!

Hold on a second here -

Am I gong to have to leave my basement to participate in this woman recruiting drive?

P.S. I am married to a woman who works with animals all day and she will use anything that works provided I take over as soon as a problem arises. My little sister, who went to a special college to pursue a degree in clinical feminine psychology, will only use Apple products because she feels Apple is the only company that produces products that do not force a masculine design paradigm on their customers.

Nothing will work for everyone.
    Last edited by aesis05401; July 31st, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: What to do to get women into Linux

Quote Originally Posted by LepeKaname View Post
    I think it should be: "how to go to get windows users into Linux"
    How to go to get users into Ubuntu

Or you leave OS X and *BSD users out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Chicks dig Adobe software.

seriously. I can't get any of my girlfriends hooked on Linux because they all use Flash or Premiere or Indesign or something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

"What I have noticed is women are typically crafty in a physically, metaphysically, abstractly (if thats a word), and even emotionally way."

I'm pretty sure that "abstractly" isn't a word and in the context of what you're saying, *physically doesn't make sense either. Just say "..physical, metaphysical, abstract and even emotional..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sandwormblues View Post
    Chicks dig Adobe software.

seriously. I can't get any of my girlfriends hooked on Linux because they all use Flash...
    Flash is easy to get for Ubuntu from Medibuntu, you know. Don't know about those other applications, but Adobe is pretty much Linux-friendly.

Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast