Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do to get women into Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: What to do to get women into Linux

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    If there is a barrier that prevents a woman who WANTS to be into technology from being in it, then I'm all for removing it. But I don't see the point in going to great lengths to achieve purely statistical equality in a given field. I wonder, do people in fields traditionally dominated by women sit around talking about how to get more men into their field?
    Actually...yes. There is an ongoing effort, for example, to get more male nurses.

And this is really more about missing out on potential contributors.

Going off of what was said about creativity, I've read that women tend to think of the computer as a tool, or a means to an end... I don't think the current stereotype that you need to be antisocial and obsessed with hardware is helping any. Computers aren't seen as "creative" or "artsy" but more "science." Getting the message out there that creativity and computing DO go together is important, IMO.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jazzguyman View Post
    Maybe we can somehow make them 'feel smart' when approaching or using Linux... ideas?
    I feel smart just because I have Linux! My friend Robin showed me on his laptop how simple it is when he let me borrow it and I surfed awhile, checked my e-mail, copied off of Robin's schoolwork (he said it was okay), and played some music. I said something about how simple and fast his laptop was, and then he said it was Linux! I was stunned. I had used Linux and not even thought about it. It was effortless, fast, elegant, and simple enough even for me to do everything I wanted on it.

I'm smart just for using Ubuntu on my computer now instead of having to worry all the time about software licenses, whether or not it's legal, viruses, spyware. It's so liberating!

How to get girls to use it? Well it helps if you're super cute like Robin is, lol, because all the girls want to "borrow" him to show us a dance move or get the cue sheets for the routines - all he really has to do is bring his laptop to dance class. Robin's not a geeky boy at all, so no one expected him to have Linux.

"It's easier than Windows," is all he has to say.

-Amy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Computers aren't seen as "creative" or "artsy" ...........
    I was attracted to the Amiga in the 1980's Because it was a computer FOR artists.

it's a shame that the people trying to "sell" computers have basically forgotten about that. altho I know MAC's tend to be characterized that way. and in their orbit, they are successful because they make sure their product looks beautiful.

but with the Amiga there was something very grass roots basic about it. it was rebellious! and fun.

Beans
    Hidden!

but..but...computers are creative - they can be very creative when you build your own or when spitting out some rather unexpected results when coding..they get very creative on their own when attempting java or C++...hehe

artsy? have you seen some of the works of art out there called modded desktop computers? have a look at milliondollarpc.com sometime and tell me those desktops are not works of art!!

its all in the eye of the beholder I guess.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Most of my computing science courses is about split in half male/female, which surprised me a little.

I guess it depends on where you live.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ceciliaFX View Post
    I was attracted to the Amiga in the 1980's Because it was a computer FOR artists.

it's a shame that the people trying to "sell" computers have basically forgotten about that. altho I know MAC's tend to be characterized that way. and in their orbit, they are successful because they make sure their product looks beautiful.

but with the Amiga there was something very grass roots basic about it. it was rebellious! and fun.
    +1 Amiga.

As for Apple, they are the only planet in their galaxy when it comes to high-end AV as they have bought everything, software and all. That budges a bit but that was the plan. But yes, all their machines have the appropriate in/outs for quality AV (though sometimes not the other hardware IMHO!).

Think Pro-Tools, think Premiere-Pro. One's made by DigiDesign and the other by Avid, right? Well, kinda. Except Apple own both more or less. They have that side of the market cornered from top to bottom, software to hardware and a foot in every AV studio door that can afford the apparent privilege.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 22nd, 2009 at 06:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I wanted to introduce my wife into Linux. So I changed the wallpaper, windows decoration, icons, etc... so it looks just as she likes: Something more friendly (eye candy).

I want it to show her that Linux looks better than the default Windows interface. However, she start to complain about things that she can do in Windows that she can't in Linux. For example, to be able to see the thubnails of her powerpoint files and the content snapshots in folders. But mainly that OpenOffice is not stable (or do not response as MS Office) and that MS Office with wine is too slow (when loading images inside PowerPoint) and some issues that need to be fixed in wine...

Then I learned a lesson: It doesn't matter how it looks as long as it do what you need and in an easy way.

She is not like many of us, that we somehow "enjoy" to fix our problems inside Linux because that give us knowledge (and freedom). She is just a normal user that uses a computer just to perform some simple tasks. And if those tasks are not well done in Linux, then she will stick to Windows.

Other case: My sister in law was using Ubuntu, she used it around 2 years, but now she don't use it anymore... why? because she can't make her ATI video card to work propertly and have some problems with her audio.

Not so many people are willing to "loose" valuable time fixing things that should work... right?

So, what do we need to do to get women (and my grandparents, my uncle, etc.) into Linux? simple: fix those minor problems (I know, it would take time).
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by LepeKaname View Post
    It doesn't matter how it looks as long as it do what you need and in an easy way.
    The laptop I borrowed from a friend has a custom-made Ubuntu/LXDE mixture which gives it a familiar-looking desktop with clickable icons. That's on purpose because people borrow Robin's laptop all the time at the studio. Anyway, it was so easy I just assumed it was Windows and was shocked when he told me I had been using Linux. It sure made a believer out of me!

So, what do we need to do to get women (and my grandparents, my uncle, etc.) into Linux? simple: fix those minor problems (I know, it would take time).
    When I asked for Linux on my home computer, Robin gave me a CD of his "Robin's Ubuntu Remix" that I had used on his laptop. It already had codecs, multimedia, restricted extras, ndiswrapper and all that. I had nothing to do but use the computer as soon as it was installed. Everything including my printer and scanner just worked immediately! I was stunned that I didn't need to insert a CD and "install" my printer and scanner.

I think it helps if you - the "expert" - do the work in advance like Robin did for me, then just be available to answer questions when she wants to change wallpaper or something like that.

It has sure made a fangirl out of me!
    Amy
    Dance Class: No Place for Wimps!
    Non-Geeky Girls Love Linux Too!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thank you Amy for your answer... The only thing it was not quite acceptable for her was that Powerpoint was not the "same", as she need to use it for her job everyday...

If you have used Powerpoint either the OpenOffice version or with wine, you will see that is lacking of so many things that prevent to work smoothly... unfortunately until those small details are fixed she may use ubuntu a little more.

She uses Ubuntu only to watch their movies, as videos run faster in Linux than in Windows (in her computer).

At least is something
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

PowerPoint is so abysmal. Sadly, due to MS bundling it, nothing else gets a look in.

Ask Cecilia about Scala

It completely annihilates powerpoint in everyway conceivable.. And has always done so right from the early 1990's.

It was even available for Windows platform.

So why did PowerPoint become the defacto presentation programme even though it is so Uber crap?

Could it be that someone has been stifling innovation ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast