Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do to get women into Linux

Beans

What to do to get women into Linux

As a disclaimer, if anything I say in this post is considered offensive, it was not at all intended.

I am 19 years old, I am a male, and I have skimmed through some of the posts in this forum and a lot of them point out the lack of women in the computer field and causes of it, but no solutions.

Problem solving is typically something guys like to do, and if you were to summarize computers in a few words, they do nothing but calculate, rationalize/solve, and ensure precision. That being said, the nature of computers isn't very feminine (I am not saying at all that this is a problem).

So, I want to know what it is women want that would attract them to computers, not just Linux. I want to include all women, including ones that know nothing about computers.

What I have noticed is women are typically crafty in a physically, metaphysically, abstractly (if thats a word), and even emotionally way. I noticed that some (not all) females choose what makes them feel more comfortable over something that may be more efficient or useful. I have also noticed that most computer-illiterate females use Macs. A Mac, in my opinion, is flashy, stable, secure, simple, and targeted toward artists (music, video, and picture artists). There isn't necessarily anything wrong with this, but it again leads to my original question - what do girls and women want to use a computer for something more?

I don't care about posts about games, since all 3 major OSes can game and that is just a preference no matter what gender you are.
    Check out my website for programs and games I made for linux:
    http://zicronsoft.comxa.com

Beans

Re: What to do to get women into Linux

I strongly recommend the document HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

"Problem solving" is what I do when I create a special effect. When I got my 1st computer in 1989 I was enthralled by the possibilities. I knew i wouldn't get bored with this great new medium. It was an Amiga, so that's not a surprise.

problem solving is the way my brain naturally works.

the only people I know who are not into computers for creativity tend to use it for things like banking, email and so on. certainly, linux can do all that easily. I would guess that encouraging women or anyone to use linux is a case of security and lack of virus's.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bokunenjin View Post
    I strongly recommend the document HOWTO Encourage Women in Linux.
    looked that over - it's basically the same reasons women are not encouraged to do anything.

fortunately for me, I have never given a rats behind about others opinion of me. I never cared if people thought I was "unfeminine", stupid, too smart, didn't 'belong' or any other that other nonsense.

I have always been completely self-directed. and very ambitious. lucky for me my family always supported me and never treated me as if I was weird. Education has always been valued in my family. and my brother and i were encouraged to do what we wanted to do and follow our talents.

that's the only way to get more people to use linux - bring them up to be smart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Maybe we can somehow make them 'feel smart' when approaching or using Linux... ideas?

Beans

i feel ceciliafx makes some valid points. what bokunenjin posted is almost like a manual to me haha. but, that howto is more about getting women to continue to do computer work, not so much getting them into computers as a whole. any other ideas?
    Check out my website for programs and games I made for linux:
    http://zicronsoft.comxa.com

Beans
    Distro

women will get very excited about computers when they realize they can make money from using them.

and I mean 'work at home' type of careers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Wow..

AMIGA.. Cecilia

Howdy. Tiz The_Editor/Outcast

Cecilia.. Would be awesome if you could get Kermit to port ImageFX over to Ubuntu

I'd certainly buy a Linux version
    Last edited by Swagman; July 16th, 2009 at 08:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
    Wow..

AMIGA.. Cecilia

Howdy. Tiz The_Editor/Outcast

Cecilia.. Would be awesome if you could get Kermit to port ImageFX over to Ubuntu

I'd certainly buy a Linux version
    well, me and various people sometimes talk about STUFF

there has to be some financial gain for Kermit, however. And it's not like some people haven't tried to get something going. can't say any more than that.
    but, believe me, it's not easy.

I'm not giving up, however

Beans

If there is a barrier that prevents a woman who WANTS to be into technology from being in it, then I'm all for removing it. But I don't see the point in going to great lengths to achieve purely statistical equality in a given field. I wonder, do people in fields traditionally dominated by women sit around talking about how to get more men into their field?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast