Thread: ProFtpd vs. VsFtpd

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ProFtpd vs. VsFtpd

I am about to put an FTP solution in place and I've been doing some research. I know there are a lot of solutions out there, but here is my criteria:

1. SECURE - This is critical. I plan to do an FTP over SSL (FTPS) implementation. This server will reside in a DMZ.
    2. Well-documented - I'm fairly new at this. I've been using Linux on the desktop for a few years now and I have a little experience managing an Ubuntu server, but I need somewhere to turn if I get stuck.
    3. Good community support - goes hand-in-hand with the previous point about documentation.
    4. Not too hard for end-users who will be connecting to the server - I need to be able to walk semi-savvy users through the process of connecting to my FTP server using common clients such as Core FTP, Filezilla, CuteFTP, etc.

I've narrowed it down to ProFtpd and VsFtpd. Can anyone make any recommendations as to one over the other? Are there any key features that differentiate them? One thing that I heard about VsFtpd that I like is that there is a Webmin plugin available for managing the server. I have Webmin set up on another Ubuntu server and I use it for general admin, Apache, and MySQL. It would be nice to centralize on that platform if possible. I'd really appreciate any advice.
    Last edited by chrisinspace; July 16th, 2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: sp
    “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” --Homer Simpson