Thread: What can I expect? -Brand New iMac 24"

Beans

What can I expect? -Brand New iMac 24"

I have been reading threads and have had difficulty finding an answer to this...

If I buy a brand new 24" iMac, will I simply be able to install Jaunty and use Boot Camp? I've read about file system issues and all kinds of stuff, but they mostly seem to be on older machines.

If I can't simply buy the iMac and install Ubuntu on it, then I'll probably just build another PC-based computer and make Ubuntu the only OS on it. (My current Pentium D 930 machine appears to be on its way out)

Thanks for any help.
    Dell Zino HD, AMD Neo X2 e6850, 8GB, 750GB, ATI HD4330 in MXM slot.

Beans

Re: What can I expect? -Brand New iMac 24"

I got a new iMac and installed jaunty on it using https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...elInstallation as a guide.

From memory the only thing that required a little reading was getting the sound to work. Its not the best but the mbp3 driver will work tho a iMac91 driver is in the works?

Good luck

Beans

Re: What can I expect? -Brand New iMac 24"

Quote Originally Posted by reiki View Post
    I have been reading threads and have had difficulty finding an answer to this...

If I buy a brand new 24" iMac, will I simply be able to install Jaunty and use Boot Camp? I've read about file system issues and all kinds of stuff, but they mostly seem to be on older machines.

If I can't simply buy the iMac and install Ubuntu on it, then I'll probably just build another PC-based computer and make Ubuntu the only OS on it. (My current Pentium D 930 machine appears to be on its way out)

Thanks for any help.
    dont use bootcamp, use refit
    you can expect some sound issues