Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you backup your systems?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do you backup your systems?

I'm still trying to figure out how to back up 6TB of data without spending another 600$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

-BackInTime backup
    -Clonezilla image
    -UbuntuOne backup docs

docs signed and encrypted on UbuntuOne.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    I think there's a place in Symaptic which allows you to backup the list of applications you have installed so you could run a massive "sudo apt-get install applicationX applicationY applicationZ ..." command to get all your applications (from the repositories) installed in one shot.
    where?

file -> generate package download script generates an empty script with just #!/bin/sh on line 1, and no more lines...

edit: for anyone looking to generate/restore a giant list of apps from the repos in one command: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1210796&page=2 <--- method i currently use, in conjunction with backing up /home.
    Last edited by earthpigg; July 14th, 2009 at 04:36 PM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I don't Backup the System.. Just use norton Ghost i you want...

All i do is copy 4 folder to my external
    Pictures
    Videos
    Documents
    Downloads

i.e. in Vista My documents.. Rest all my OS reffer to the same location for the respective items inturn concentrating my data to these 4 folders
    HP Pavillion Dv6516tx -Ubuntu 13.04 - Win Vista - Win 7 - Mac OS X - Server 2008
    Toshiba L640D 10GB -Ubuntu 13.04 20GB-Windows 7
    HTC Explorer Rooted CMW 10.1 JellyBean
    Max Razr Planned Ubuntu Touch

Beans

Backing up is for pansies! Anyone who like living on the edge doesn't waste their time w/ that crap!

Quote Originally Posted by doas777 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how to back up 6TB of data without spending another 600$
    Well, you've got me beat. I've only got around 300gigs on a 1tb drive, that not at all backed up. Still working on that though, I just don't know the best way to go about it. Mind if I ask what takes up 6 gigs? Do you do a lot of video work?

I would love to have a system to do automatic daily backups...

There are too many options, and I don't know what the best route. The disk image setup sounds nice, but complicated. Where I used to work, they did nightly tape backups. They'd do 7 days worth of backups, and after the 7th day, that tape was cycled to the front of the line.

BM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Barna Madau View Post
    Backing up is for pansies! Anyone who like living on the edge doesn't waste their time w/ that crap!

Well, you've got me beat. I've only got around 300gigs on a 1tb drive, that not at all backed up. Still working on that though, I just don't know the best way to go about it. Mind if I ask what takes up 6 gigs? Do you do a lot of video work?

I would love to have a system to do automatic daily backups...

There are too many options, and I don't know what the best route. The disk image setup sounds nice, but complicated. Where I used to work, they did nightly tape backups. They'd do 7 days worth of backups, and after the 7th day, that tape was cycled to the front of the line.

BM
    He said 6TB not 6GB, ^.^
    @doas777 But yea...what the heck do you have that takes up 6 Terabytes?
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a personal folder on my desktop which I rsync -av to a 250 GB external hard drive. I then rsync the external drive to our family computer so I always have 3 copies. Occasionally I run the --del option with the rsync to clean up the extra stuff on the backup that I've since deleted from the live copy.

I'm still trying to decide if keeping one of the copies away from my house is being sensible, or just plain paranoia... Any thoughts?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ozor Mox View Post
    I'm still trying to decide if keeping one of the copies away from my house is being sensible, or just plain paranoia... Any thoughts?!
    How precious is your data to you? For example if it's a backup of your OS, application settings, etc. then I would suggest that it's not worth it (to me anyway), but if the data consists of personal photos then I would want to make sure I don't lose them no matter what happened. I can recreate application settings, re-install my OS, etc, but I can't retake photos. It's all very subjective though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MasterNetra View Post
    He said 6TB not 6GB, ^.^
    @doas777 But yea...what the heck do you have that takes up 6 Terabytes?
    my bad- I meant 6tb...

BM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Weekly backups with Sbackup and every month or so I image my systems with Partimage
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast