Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you backup your systems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question How do you backup your systems?

The usual thought is that everybody should back up their data, and not enough people do.

If you back up your systems, how do you do it? What applications do you use? If you use rsync, what does your script look like?

How do you backup (and recover) your system files, or do you just reinstall in case that happens?

How do you backup (and recover) your system files; DVD-R, external usb drive, in the cloud, USB stick, how?

I'm trying to figure out a good scheme for backing up my laptop, desktop and server and preferably in a format for being able to put a copy of the backups in my parents house for cases where the area floods or the house burns down. This is added insurance in case of more than just a hard drive or operating system crash.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How do you backup your systems?

I just bought a Western Digital My Passport 400Gb drive just for backup purposes. I'm using rsync to backup my home directory for my desktop.

Code:
    sudo rsync --delete -azvv /home/tucklive/ /media/disk/Adam/Bigbox/
    For my servers I use Webmin.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm lazy. Every couple of months I just copy my /home partition to a 300GB external drive and leave it at a friend's house. I know I should do my system partition too, but, as I said, I'm lazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli Bob View Post
    I'm lazy. Every couple of months I just copy my /home partition to a 300GB external drive and leave it at a friend's house. I know I should do my system partition too, but, as I said, I'm lazy.
    Would just mean you'd have to reinstall the OS and applications. I think there's a place in Symaptic which allows you to backup the list of applications you have installed so you could run a massive "sudo apt-get install applicationX applicationY applicationZ ..." command to get all your applications (from the repositories) installed in one shot.

At least don't have to worry about having to Activate the OS!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

I keep...let me see here...

3 backups on different drives of my /home directory...as well as a backup of my installed packages.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a dualboot system with XP and Ubuntu. (5 total partitions)

I use Acronis to backup the entire disk image to an external drive. I've sucessfully restored the disk (or any partion I choose) many times. So I feel very confident in experimenting with re-partitioning or anything else that has inherent risks.

I've also used clonzilla for the same purpose and successfully restored a number or times.

So I trust both approaches, it's just that Arconis has a nicer interphase to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use rsync to do incremental backup of home /home to a remote computer.
    I use a script something like http://www.samba.org/rsync/examples.html
    to make incremental backup.
    Crontab is used to do this automatically every day.

For my parents Desktop computer I consider doing the same thing, but as they do not have access to a backup server, I would use a usb stick, permanently connected on the dusty backside of their computer (Possible since they have <4 GB of data to backup).

Every time I install an application, I add the install command to a script.
    This script, I will run whenever i should decide to reinstall Ubuntu.
    This was something I started doing, before i found out that it can be done automatically. My method works for manually installed stuff too, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Would just mean you'd have to reinstall the OS and applications. I think there's a place in Symaptic which allows you to backup the list of applications you have installed so you could run a massive "sudo apt-get install applicationX applicationY applicationZ ..." command to get all your applications (from the repositories) installed in one shot.

At least don't have to worry about having to Activate the OS!
    Yeah, there is a way of doing that, but I'm too lazy to look it up. Anyway, if I trash my system partition, it's just an excuse to install the latest Ubuntu release, or maybe try a different distro while waiting for the next Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

rdiff cron job nightly to an external USB drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I painstakingly sort files into categories, put them in 4.3gb sized 'burn' directories, and make redundant copies. For complete hard-drives, I just image it all, then 7z them into small parts for more reliable copy (and recovery if one part is bad). DVD-Rs rock.
    I USE THIS SMILEY because im a rocker!!! \m/ pantara and nerveina roles!

also yo-yo ma is great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast