Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Transmission BitTorrent Client not working

Beans

Re: Transmission BitTorrent Client not working

Hello all,

I'm having the same problem, where downloads don't get going and stay stuck at 0 of 0 peers even if several peers are listed from the download site. Checking my ports they are closed, even using the latest version (1.74) from the ppa.

Anyone know how to open up the ports? Things were working fine for me, too, until one day when I think an update may have changed things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To open a port with the default ubuntu firewall, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:
    Code:
    sudo ufw allow port_number
    Replace port_number with your port. You will need to do the same with your router as well. Then just restart ufw.

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/ufw restart
    and it should work.

rahrahmah, right click on a torrent file, go to the last tab (I think) and change the default program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

wow way to revive an old thread. you should create a new one next time

anyway actually you dont need to mess with the ubuntu firewall. you need to open the ports in your router. for more info see http://portforward.com/

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyKata View Post
    Hello all,

I'm having the same problem, where downloads don't get going and stay stuck at 0 of 0 peers even if several peers are listed from the download site. Checking my ports they are closed, even using the latest version (1.74) from the ppa.

Anyone know how to open up the ports? Things were working fine for me, too, until one day when I think an update may have changed things.

Beans
    Distro

Its hardly old..And yeah, you probably don't need to open ports on your computer but I've found that I needed to, which is why I said that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

"wow way to revive an old thread. you should create a new one next time"

Hey you're really friendly huh pal? Nice to see that ol' Linux hostility... I mean friendliness popping up now and again. Some things never die I guess.

BTW try Deluge, WAAAAAAAAAAAY more fun and better than Transmission. Install from Synaptic and you're good to go, it's already there for the taking.

Beans

Let me start by clearing some of the dust from this thread. Well I've upgraded to Natty (unfortunately) many issues with my media server! trying to solve one at a time, however this one seems to be a douzy! I cannot for the life of me get this thing to work! transmissions/vuse/deluge! u name it! torrent clients just wont download! i;ve tried deleting the config files, used different torrents, even experimented with different clients, the router ports are all correct!
    Can someone please look into this! Transmission is my favorite app, the web GUI and the webserver option are amazing! whats the use if its not even downloading tho...

any help would be highly appreciated

Beans
    Distro

Look up your ISP online and check if they block bittorrent access. Many do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123