Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I play Blu Ray/Hd-Dvd movies in Ubuntu?

Beans

How can I play Blu Ray/Hd-Dvd movies in Ubuntu?

I have purchased an LG Bluray/Hddvd player/burner from newegg a couple weeks ago. I was hoping there is a way I can watch movies still through ubuntu or at the very least windowsxppro through virtualbox(which I haven't tried but I'm quite sure it should work). Can someone inform me if it is possible and if so how to get them to play in ubuntu? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How can I play Blu Ray/Hd-Dvd movies in Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

it is my understanding that you cannot.
    if you find out otherwise let us know, but until BD+ can be reliably cracked so that a decoder library can be produced, it should not be possible. There are cracking tools for BD+ streams, but every few months the blueray folks manage to break the crack, at which point the guys at slysoft pick it back up.
    unfortunately, it looks like the guys at doom9 are having trouble with it. a shame.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-Hoor-Khuit View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out and post any updates.

Beans

Seems like alot of stuff, I'm gonna look at it once more once I'm back at the computer - but - seems it'll be easier to play them if they work through virtualbox I think.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fwaokda View Post
    Seems like alot of stuff, I'm gonna look at it once more once I'm back at the computer - but - seems it'll be easier to play them if they work through virtualbox I think.
    good luck. I'm told it shouldn't work, but I hope it does for all our sakes.

Beans

Blu Ray in linux is not supported yet and I could not get them to play in Virtual Box. maybe the new Vbox3 will work better. I have to dual boot with Windows7 and Windvd. Post back if you get it to work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think you need an HDCP ready vidcard and driver stack to view BD+ content. In Vista\7, they had to implement a tyrannical tech called Protected Media Path to get licensing to be able to display content at all. this is much of the loudly lauded "DRM" embedded in vista.

HDCP is designed to keep content encrypted as it moves through the system, and stays encrypted until it reaches the monitor itself. PMP listens on the system bus and within a highly protected part of the kernel trying to find any evidence of another module attempting to intercept the stream. if you have any unsigned drivers or process debuggers installed, or if a hiccup occures on your system bus, PMP degrades your signal to 480p. all this hardware intelligence (and 100% signed drivers for all kernel mods) says to me that it probably won't work in a virtual environment.

Beans

Well I was able to get PowerDVD to install, but I noticed that the drive shows up in VBox as "VBox CD/DVD Drive" is there a way to change this? Because starting with just that, the disk is not able to be read.

Any ideas on how to move forward?

Beans

I've been talking with a VBox person in their chatroom and here is some stuff he/she's had to say on this...

vbox blocks any commands not in the white list for security reasons. and the bd copy protection stuff is not in there yet. feel free to contribute a change - it shouldn't be difficult.

the difficult part is distilling the needed command list out of the scsi specs...
    Then I asked what the white list was because im new to all this...

it's a list of scsi commands which are allowed to be passed to the host drive. right now the list covers everything needed for dvd...

see src/VBox/Devices/Storage/VBoxATA.cpp, function atapiParseCmdPassthrough
    So maybe that can get someone on here started... I'm gonna keep looking into it and I'll try and update this if anything comes up. This is pretty much the only thing keeping me from being in a total Ubuntu w/ VBOX environment.

UPDATE:
    If your any good with C++ here is a link to the function that he/she mentioned above. (Line: 2386)
    http://www.virtualbox.org/browser/tr...Controller.cpp
    Last edited by fwaokda; July 15th, 2009 at 08:34 PM. Reason: added link to function ref'd in quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast