Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need hints on adding a new device to Network Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Need hints on adding a new device to Network Manager

HERE YOU WILL FIND A WORKAROUND FOR THE HUAWEI E1550 WHILE WE WAIT FOR A MORE PERMANENT SOLUTION.

Hello everybody!

I need hints on how to add a new device to the Network Manager packages in Ubuntu. New udev rules, etc are required.

My immediate goal is to be able to handle the Huawei E1550 mobile broadband USB modem on Ubuntu with the Network Manager. The process of updating NM with a new device or new provider seems to to take many many months. The market has been offering new mobile broadband devices quite often and unfortunately the Network Manager is sometimes not capable of handling the devices without manual tweaks.

It would be very favorable for Linux and for Ubuntu to be able to follow the development of the market despite the fact that many equipment developers do not contribute for open source solutions.

OBS: The Huawei E1550 is very interesting for us since it is sold here in Sweden for 25€ on certain foodstores (!) on prepaid plans with a fixed fee per month, day, or week. Presently it is the most flexible and cheapest device sold without attachments to other costs. It is locked to a single provider.
    Last edited by Macchi; August 2nd, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added a remark on a temporary solution.
    Ciao, Cheers, /Macchi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Need hints on adding a new device to Network Manager

Hi Macchi,
    possibly a helpful post from Sweden:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...36&postcount=6

Fully agree with your thoughts:
    It would be very favorable for Linux and for Ubuntu to be able to follow the development of the market despite the fact that many equipment developers do not contribute for open source solutions.
    A 'paspartu' user-definable option could be made within N.M specs.
    If the user gain the /dev/tty... port must be simple to use it. Most mobile broadband modems have a minimum compatibility to ETS07.05 and ETS07.07 AT commands.

Regards,
    George

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here is a method (workaround) to use the Huawei E1550 Mobile Broadband HSDPA 3.6Mbps modem in Ubuntu with the Network Manager. Open a terminal and follow the three steps:

1) Install udev-extras from the standard Ubuntu repositories:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install udev-extras
    2) Add a custom udev rule for the Huawei E1550 by typing this line:
    Code:
    echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1446", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1446 --type option-zerocd"' | sudo tee  /etc/udev/rules.d/45-huawei1550.rules
    3) Configure explicitly the Mobile Broadband on Network Manager according to specific instructions from your provider. In my case I just had to fill in the APN. It is convenient to check the box that the connection will be activated automatically and will be available for all users.

OBS: This modem is interesting due to high flexibility, low cost, and quite reasonable performance for mobile broadband. Here in Sweden they are sold for approx 25€ on prepaid (no contract).
    This is only a workaround before a definitive solution is created for udev and/or network manager and/or devicekit.
    The other solutions that I have seen involved installing from source software that is not yet on the repositories. I personally prefer to strive after standardization and resources available on the repositories. Observe that the modem-switch on udev-extras is not the same as usb_modeswitch! I hope that these tools will soon converge upstream.
    Last edited by Macchi; July 16th, 2009 at 01:05 AM.
    Ciao, Cheers, /Macchi

Beans

macci you are a genius it works with etisalat modem in Egypt www.etisalat.com.eg
    I am now answering on the modem and browsing my site www.mashy.com

Thank you a million times over.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Ehabh, I am glad that this workaround was also useful for you!
    Let's hope the Huawei E1550 will soon work transparently in Ubuntu without the need for manual tweaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is great, is there a generic principle i can follow for example for getting the E160 or E180 using the same method that you used.

And I love going to Stockholm every year for a few days. God bless Ryanair Gammastan always fills my cameras memory card on each and every visit! thats why I invested in a little nettop that will now connect with the aid of your little tweak.

F-spot + E1550 + this tweak + nettop + Camera + Stockholm/Oslo = Sheer unadulterated happiness

Mick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu_cork View Post
    This is great, is there a generic principle i can follow for example for getting the E160 or E180 using the same method that you used?
    This tweak is for USB modems that first appear as a storage device and then have to be actively switched to the modem-mode. I used modem-modeswitch from udev-extras, and create a custom udev rule. Try to substitute the vendor and product ID with the actual values for you modem. Hopefully it works with the network manager in the standard way.

PS: Clearly off-topic, but regarding a comment on Sweden: Stockholm is probably among the most beautiful capitals of the world. On your next visit I would recommend seeing the archipelago in the summer: It has more that 20 thousand islands and fantastic places can be reached by regular bus and boat tours.
    Last edited by Macchi; July 28th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
    Ciao, Cheers, /Macchi

Beans

u the man...

mine was a lengthy method..

yours shrink it down to less than 3 lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Macchi View Post
    Here is a method (workaround) to use the Huawei E1550 Mobile Broadband HSDPA 3.6Mbps modem in Ubuntu with the Network Manager. Open a terminal and follow the three steps:

1) Install udev-extras from the standard Ubuntu repositories:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install udev-extras
    2) Add a custom udev rule for the Huawei E1550 by typing this line:
    Code:
    echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="1446", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1446 --type option-zerocd"' | sudo tee  /etc/udev/rules.d/45-huawei1550.rules
    3) Configure explicitly the Mobile Broadband on Network Manager according to specific instructions from your provider. In my case I just had to fill in the APN. It is convenient to check the box that the connection will be activated automatically and will be available for all users.

OBS: This modem is interesting due to high flexibility, low cost, and quite reasonable performance for mobile broadband. Here in Sweden they are sold for approx 25€ on prepaid (no contract).
    This is only a workaround before a definitive solution is created for udev and/or network manager and/or devicekit.
    The other solutions that I have seen involved installing from source software that is not yet on the repositories. I personally prefer to strive after standardization and resources available on the repositories. Observe that the modem-switch on udev-extras is not the same as usb_modeswitch! I hope that these tools will soon converge upstream.

Beans

Hi Macchi,

I've been struggling to get my Huawei E1750 modem to work on Ubuntu.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1246293

Have you any ideas or pointers?

Thanks
    eeBus

Beans
    Is there any way of sending init strings to the modem? The windows program that comes with the modem has means to set the modem to "WCDMA only" to ensure that you only connect using the 3.5G.

Looking for an option to the same in Linux/Ubuntu in the NM applet

Looking at my modem, I see a steady blue light and according to Huawei that means I'm on 3G instead of 3.5G (Cyan)
    - Green Light You are connected to the GPRS/EDGE network (fast)
    - Blue Light You are connected to the 3G network (faster)
    - Cyan Light You are connected to the HSDPA or Turbo network (fastest)
    Last edited by GOwin; August 29th, 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast