Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810T

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T

Which file do I download, the same one isn't there?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by exosyst View Post
    Hey there, received my acer yesterday and I'm impressed! ...

Broken:
    FN keys for brightness (triggers the popup and shows 'alleged' status but doesn't actually change it - any ideas?
    I fixed this on my 5810T by installing a 2.6.30 kernel as per the instructions here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=39

TexLogic

Beans

RE: DVD drive not mounting.

I also have an Acer Timeline 4810T, and I am dual booting with Windows Vista. Everything is working fine in Vista, so the issues are definitely not hardware related.

I did have one instance when the dvd rom drive worked - and that was after I had booted up but had left (in error) the Ubuntu 9.04 cd in the tray. The media was recognised, I unmounted and ejected it and then other cd's were recognised - for that session only.

On advice of the forum, I upgraded to 9.10 (did the web upgrade), and now, again, the dvd rom drive reports no media present. I have tried audio cd's, data cd's and dvd movies. The audio cd's and dvd movies are purchased products (not ripped)

So, what now?? Is this a bug in Ubuntu??
    I've looked at the fstab and it looks the same as one on the ubuntu guide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayD View Post
    RE: DVD drive not mounting.

I also have an Acer Timeline 4810T, and I am dual booting with Windows Vista. Everything is working fine in Vista, so the issues are definitely not hardware related.

I did have one instance when the dvd rom drive worked - and that was after I had booted up but had left (in error) the Ubuntu 9.04 cd in the tray. The media was recognised, I unmounted and ejected it and then other cd's were recognised - for that session only.

On advice of the forum, I upgraded to 9.10 (did the web upgrade), and now, again, the dvd rom drive reports no media present. I have tried audio cd's, data cd's and dvd movies. The audio cd's and dvd movies are purchased products (not ripped)

So, what now?? Is this a bug in Ubuntu??
    I've looked at the fstab and it looks the same as one on the ubuntu guide.
    It is pretty obviously a bug, and a pretty annoying one. And the /etc/fstab solution that worked for me above, it turns out, has only improved the situation; Ubuntu still intermittently will not be able to mount the CD/DVD drive.

A very ugly workaround that works for me (so far) is to suspend the machine and wake it back up. Upon waking up Ubuntu reliably (so far) reads the CD/DVD in the tray.

TexLogic

Beans

OK, I tried your suspend trick, and it does work. It also automatically mounts the media in the drive.
    If I unmount, it asks for authentication - with a message that it has been mounted by another user. Don't understand that one really.

After this has happened once, it seems to recognise other media, but still haven't got dvd's to play - tried Totem, Gnome Player and VLC. I either get the message that the media could not be recognised or that it has stopped.

Still working on that one!! Please let me know what you have configured to get dvd's to play (I've only tried purchased ones). I used Mandriva before on a much older laptop with an Intel graphics card, had to configure the players for X11 only and also had to change one of the config files (can't remember which one).

BTW, have you noticed anything about your battery on your Timeline? I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, and it is now reporting fully charged at around 96% - this is the same in Vista and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't seem to compile the lan card drivers on my machine, I followed the instructions but to no avail.

Does anyone know what this means?

Code:
    sashin@Laptop:~/src$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30-020630-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/sashin/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/sashin/src/at_common_main.o
      CC [M]  /home/sashin/src/atl1e_main.o
    /home/sashin/src/atl1e_main.c: In function ‘atl1e_request_irq’:
    /home/sashin/src/atl1e_main.c:156: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
      CC [M]  /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.o
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_intr’:
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1635: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1649: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1673: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1703: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_request_irq’:
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:2345: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    make[2]: *** [/home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/sashin/src] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    sashin@Laptop:~/src$ sudo make install
    [sudo] password for sashin: 
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30-020630-generic/build SUBDIRS=/home/sashin/src modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
      CC [M]  /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.o
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_intr’:
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1635: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1649: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1673: error: expected expression before ‘;’ token
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:1703: warning: ‘return’ with a value, in function returning void
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c: In function ‘atl1c_request_irq’:
    /home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.c:2345: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘request_irq’ from incompatible pointer type
    make[2]: *** [/home/sashin/src/atl1c_main.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/sashin/src] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2

Beans
    Hidden!

Problem solved, I was installing the wrong drivers.

Beans

RE: The dvd drive problem.
    It seems that it might be a problem with Gnome??? I am trying Fedora 11 booted from a USB (so the dvd rom drive is free) and have the identical problem that I have in Ubuntu.

This seems to be a bug that has not yet been resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The brightness issue has a fix:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...57&postcount=2

I'm experiencing the CD/DVD problem also. It is now reported on Launchpad:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/412527

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have a 4810T and I'm having similar problems:
    Mousepad lock button doesn't work. Haven't tried workarounds yet.
    Screen brightness. (Fixed. See this thread)
    Battery life not as long as with Windows (Haven't actually done tests, but it seems to be slightly shorter...)
    And optical drive doesn't work. I have tried the fstab workaround and hibernating with disc in drive. No luck.

Other than that everything works fine. (I haven't tried the in built microphone so I don't know about that...)
    The Webcam worked once I did something or other I saw on the 3810 thread...
    Last edited by Incompetnce; August 14th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast