Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 4810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T

Quote Originally Posted by v1ad View Post
    hey does any1 else has a wireless issue where when connected to a secure network it kicks u off at heavy load and random disconnects. at times the wireless signal goes down to a bar for 3 or 4 bars. the problem seems only on secure networks
    I am experiencing the same problem in my acer 4810T bios v1.31

I haven't realized that it only happens on secure networks, I will check and get back at you.

It makes it impossible to download torrents or anything using multiple connections...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quail-linux View Post
    have a read here[1] and let me know if it fixes your freezing problem

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=382
    I tried the instructions on that thread but they don't seam to work on my 4810T.

I was thinking to downgrade to BIOS v1.10 but I saw some posts of people trying that and failing. I also noticed that there is no dos utility for BIOS v1.10 in acer website but there is for v1.28, v1.30 or v1.31...

Regards

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 4810T - several probs

Hello together,

I am using Karmic on a 4810TZ and have the following problems:

• display remains turned on in standby mode
    • choosing hibernate in the logout menu doesn't work - when I close the laptop it does work
    • I can't listen to audio CDs. I use "eject cdrom" to open the drive. Any data CD is recognized but when I insert an audio CD I get the error "Cannot mount audio CD: DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus) "

Are there any solutions to these probs, most urgent is the last.

Thanks for help,

Björn

Beans

Has anyone here checked for these problems under Lucid? I assume they're still there as I still have them on my 5810TZ. Just thought I would check.

Beans

karmic 9.10

in my /etc/default/grub file i have only added the "nomodeset"
    and i have placed this command "xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native" in the "startup apps" even though i have no clue of what it means.
    i tried this also "acpi_backlight=vendor" but has no difference.

i have noticed these:

before using this command "xrandr --output LVDS --set BACKLIGHT_CONTROL native" i had 9 levels(1 2.. 9) of brightness(as in windows).
    *i guess blank screen is considered as "0" *
    Since i couldn't change brightness's level though i now use the above "xrandr" command which gives me 20 working brightness levels!

in my /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0
    the "max brightness" file says 9 and when i change the brightness the file "brightness" changes but only from 1 to 9. the rest 11 levels are ignored on these files but not visually on my screen.
    so when i'm in 20th level and decrease by one, the "brightness file will show 8.
    when i'm on 10th level, the "brightness" file will show 1. !!!
    when i'm on 1st level, the "brightness" file of course still shows 1 but when i now increase to 2nd level the "brightness" file starts to count again(!) and stops on 9th level.

in my /proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02 there is also a "brightness" file with changeable values.
    it has 10 levels!!! (10 20.. 100)
    so similar things happen here BUT the blank screen is considered as the value "10" here so when the "brightness" file of "/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0" shows "1" , the
    "brightness" file of "/proc/acpi/video/OVGA/DD02" shows "20" !!!

it seems that the above cause a bug when i switch from AC cable to battery!
    when i'm on battery brightness reduces by 75% correctly as configured in power management but if i plug in AC power it increases only by 1 scale! (i have configured it to 100 in power management)

anyone has any idea about this?
    Last edited by kwstas; April 2nd, 2010 at 02:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi ppl,

Been running Karmic with 'nomodeset' in Grub to enable my Brightness-keys. However that, obviously, disables KMS and renders an ungly boot-screen.

With Lucid I thought I wouldn't need it - however sadly I do, hence I have an even uglier boot-screen with no Plymouth, no everything.

What is the technical issue behind the brightness not working in KMS-mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've been a bit curious what all these kernel parameters do. For those of you who are curious about what nomodeset does, read this.

Beans
    Hidden!

So there is no way to get the actual brightness keys working without it?

Beans

Does anyone know how the new 10.4 Lucid Linux? What about things like power?

What works and what doesnt? the documentation page for acer timelines doesnt say much?

Beans
    Hidden!

So far all I've noticed is that brightness key problem. Can someone else please test it with the new 2.6.35 rc1 kernel? I don't have a non production machine or one I'm willing to risk.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast