Thread: /var/log/btmp - This file is not a regular file or is not a text file

Beans

/var/log/btmp - This file is not a regular file or is not a text file

Hi, the above message recently appeared in my log file viewer - "This file is not a regular file or is not a text file" for /var/log/btmp. Now this is somewhat disconcerting since I've never seen it before, but also because I only just did a reinstall today and I believe this pertains to failed logins which worries me.

The other unusual thing about this file is that the time on it is incorrect, at the time of initial checking it was in the future - 11:28 when the time was only about 10:48. Now I certainly don't recall any failed logins on my part at 10:28 either, which makes me worry as to what caused it. I should be behind a router firewall and since this is a fresh install I've not touched any ports, nor did I think I had installed an ssh server (this isn't installed by default, correct?) the incorrect time could be because of Daylight savings or somesuch I guess, but I wouldn't know if this would cause the file properties to be incorrectly set.

Checking lastb seems to indicate the failed login was on tt7 : 0 as my username - is this a possible remote login or is this physically local login only (I assume tt7 is the default X server, in which case should I not have been using it at the time anyway? This isn't the remote desktop is it, I thought I had disabled it on startup.)

Any info anyone can shed on this is very very welcome - is it a glitch in log generation, a failed cron login or somesuch or something more serious? I am rather concerned about this since I've not seen it before and I don't relish the prospect of having to reinstall over again. If it is nothing, does anyone know the cause of the logfile viewer error.
    Last edited by risingsun; July 11th, 2009 at 11:35 PM.

Beans

Re: /var/log/btmp - This file is not a regular file or is not a text file

I have also been experiencing the same notice and file in /var/log. I have been unable to track down what creates it. It's been going on for a while on my server now and it is starting to bug me. Is there nobody out there having the same problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

nevermind
    Last edited by cariboo; August 23rd, 2009 at 08:40 PM.

Beans

this "/var/log/btmp" file is a log file.
    there are saved every and each failed logins...
    you can open it with "word" - and you will see every username which has been inserted when the login process hasn't been ok.

is a "root" file... so you have to do something like this
    Code:
    sudo -s
    <your_password_account>
    chown -R your_account:your_account /var/log/btmp
    after that you should be able to delete the file... i never tried... and yes I have the same "error" in the "Log file viewer"...

have a nice day

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bogdanf View Post
    this "/var/log/btmp" file is a log file.
    there are saved every and each failed logins...
    you can open it with "word" - and you will see every username which has been inserted when the login process hasn't been ok.

is a "root" file... so you have to do something like this
    Code:
    sudo -s
    <your_password_account>
    chown -R your_account:your_account /var/log/btmp
    after that you should be able to delete the file... i never tried... and yes I have the same "error" in the "Log file viewer"...

have a nice day
    If you are using the gui log file viewer you will get the error, there is nothing wrong with your system. To view the conteents of the file, open a terminal and type:

Code:
    last
    Removing it, or changing ownership could compromise part of the security tools.

What type of system are you running where 'word' can open and read wtmp and btmp?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

/var/log/btmp warning message

Use sudo last -f /var/log/btmp to display the wrong/misspelled logons.

How to get rid of the file? May I delete it?

I get the boring warning each time, if I display the loggings and have to accept the warning.

Medion Akoya MD 8828 (MS-7502), nVIDIA Geforce 8600 GS, TV Creatix CTX 948, IMC Networks 802.11 n/g/b WLAN