Thread: Nokia PC Suite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Nokia PC Suite

anyone managed to make Nokia PC suite work on wine?
    I mean i installed it with no problem it work but when i connect my mobile to pc it shows on my nokia thats its connected to pc but nothin on the pc.
    I downloaded aswell KmobileTool but i cant open my mobile files though that program.
    Anyone having same problem with nokia pc suite?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Nokia PC Suite

I've got a nokia phone and hook up to Jaunty with no need of external apps. Just go into Nokia mode (on the phone) and it'll work as a modem, and storage mode (on the phone) to get access to files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

this is one thing i've made a mistake over. i've been using ubuntu for around 6 months now on my laptop and was able to use my sony ericcson k850i very easily. i just connected it in phone mode and i could browse the internet AND look at my files.

i recently upgraded my phone to a nokia 5800 and have belatedly discovered that nokia's design makes it difficult to get the phone to work in ubuntu. there's no "phone mode", only a "pc suite" mode.
    i can't even get the latest version of pc suite to install under wine, let alone work, so i'm stuck with having to keep a windows installation i barely use on my laptop despite the fact that one folder (the dreaded winsxs) at 15.1 gb takes up almost as much space as my entire ubuntu installation & programs & personal files at 16.2 gb.

i'll be putting a bit more thought into my next phone and get a linux-friendly one.

Beans
    Distro

I'm surprised it doesn't work, when I plug my 5300 in I just choose a menu option and go. It's disappointing then if nokia have indeed gone non-standard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stwschool View Post
    I'm surprised it doesn't work, when I plug my 5300 in I just choose a menu option and go. It's disappointing then if nokia have indeed gone non-standard.
    the only options when the 5800 is connected are pc suite, mass storage, image transfer, media transfer.

pc suite, image transfer and media transfer are pc suite functions. only mass storage works, allowing me access to the memory card, but there's no way to copy files directly to/from the phone.

i've actually just found that connecting the phone and not selcting anything allows me to connect to the internet through my mobile. being distracted is useful sometimes lol. still, my k850i allowed me to connect to the web AND brose my files at the same time, nokia's connection metods are all just geared towards their own pc suite, but then i suppose most companies are maing their devices pretty reliant on their own proprietry software these days.

Beans
    Distro

Glad you got it working, as a sidenote I posted this on another thread, which may be useful too..

A quick google has shown me a possible solution to your problem. http://www.joiku.com/?action=product...product_id=310 sets your phone to create a wi-fi hotspot, which your linux box should be able to connect to easily. Software's free for the basic version, which should do a job for you. Let me know how you get on as that's a nice-looking phone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by stwschool View Post
    Glad you got it working, as a sidenote I posted this on another thread, which may be useful too..

A quick google has shown me a possible solution to your problem. http://www.joiku.com/?action=product...product_id=310 sets your phone to create a wi-fi hotspot, which your linux box should be able to connect to easily. Software's free for the basic version, which should do a job for you. Let me know how you get on as that's a nice-looking phone.
    yeah i've seen that before. i didn't like the fact that it only supports http, so i wouldn't be able to access my emails or online banking. i also don't like the idea of using a 3rd party app to send my info over wifi anyway, plus i think i did download it a month or so ago but didn't install it because it redirects some of your browses to an advert page.

it's a pity mobile manufacturers don't make better use of their wiresless capabilites and allow you to do more than just connect to the internet. being able to transfer files over wifi would be a great addition - and would make the phones much more friendly to non-windows setups.
    Last edited by Post Monkeh; July 11th, 2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: additional comment