Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vi

41 51.90%
  • Emacs

27 34.18%
  • Ed

4 5.06%
  • TTY editors are for über geeks and I'm not one of them.

7 8.86%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vi vs Emacs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Vi vs Emacs

Hi,

In my free time I'm a webdeveloper and most of the time I'm using GUI editors as notpad++ (windows), geany and gedit. But recently I installed a server version of ubuntu and was amazed by vi (before i used pico). I'm thinking about using the editor as standard editor and find a clone for windows.

But like most things in the Open source community there is a big alternative: Emacs.

Searching with google gave me some results to understand the most differences between Vi and Emacs. But it's not clear which one is best for webdevelopment (xhtml, css, javascript, php, sql, xml, ...) Please give your personal opinion, try to respect everyone choice and don't make this a flame threat.

And in the meantime, please give your chose of favorit TTY editor.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Vi vs Emacs

I voted for Vi not because it is superior to emacs or anything. Vi was the first UNIX editor I used and fell in love with it and mastered it along the way. When in GUI I sometimes use GVIM. I have never used emacs let alone compare it with Vi.
    Last edited by kpkeerthi; July 10th, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: fix typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

TTY editors are for über geeks and I'm not one of them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I prefer vim, but vi is good too.
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans
    Distro

Flames aside, is ed there as a joke? Might be useful if your screen only fits one line of text I suppose...

I'm sure it once was useful, but I struggle to see a situation where it is in anyway more useful than vi, emacs or nano.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCee View Post
    Flames aside, is ed there as a joke? Might be useful if your screen only fits one line of text I suppose...

I'm sure it once was useful, but I struggle to see a situation where it is in anyway more useful than vi, emacs or nano.
    ed is useful within Vi/Vim command mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I took a tutorial on emacs in university and have been using it ever since. I have never really tried vi and have difficulty remembering the commands whenever I use it.

I wonder how many people actually switch from vi to emacs or vice versa. It seems like if you are proficient at one, there is very little need to switch to the other.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCee View Post

Yes, it's a joke. While searching for information I found the following on wikipedia:

Frequently, at some point in the discussion, someone will point out that ed is the standard text editor.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war

Beans
    Hidden!

vimacs
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Hidden!

Nano. Because Vi and Emacs would be like swatting a mosquito with a nuclear warhead for what little and really basic editing I do on a console. Besides, Nano is nice enough to remind me what the commands are, and I never can remember.
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast