Thread: Assistance Please

Beans

Question Assistance Please

Hello everyone. I have an old server ibm and im using it for home desktop. well i used to have winxp but the ibm would not load my operating system. i knew that the best os to run on an ibm is one in the linux area. sSSo i have Kubuntu 9.04. i realy like it but i play shaiya online so i used Virtual box with Windows XP 32bit x86 SP3. I use USB ALOT and unfortunately i have the open sourse virtualbox that has no direct USB. I have heard you can share the usb drive. how do i do that?? im a COMPLETE noob when it comes to anything other than window. could someone pls tell me how to do that?? i have no idea where to begin. thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Assistance Please

Quote Originally Posted by fanglore View Post
    Hello everyone. I have an old server ibm and im using it for home desktop. well i used to have winxp but the ibm would not load my operating system. i knew that the best os to run on an ibm is one in the linux area. sSSo i have Kubuntu 9.04. i realy like it but i play shaiya online so i used Virtual box with Windows XP 32bit x86 SP3. I use USB ALOT and unfortunately i have the open sourse virtualbox that has no direct USB. I have heard you can share the usb drive. how do i do that?? im a COMPLETE noob when it comes to anything other than window. could someone pls tell me how to do that?? i have no idea where to begin. thank you
    You could save your VM and install the non-OSE version of VirtualBox...
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DGortze380 View Post
    i thot you had to build that

Beans

i thot you had to build that. and how would i transfer the operating system over?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It's packaged for you. Download and double click: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

I would suggest removing OSE first though...

If it were me, I would export the appliance, back it up, and import to the new version of VirtualBox.

As a backup, I would also save the .vdi and machine folders for the VM.

Note, never personally done this. Continue at your own risk.
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans

It's packaged for you. Download and double click: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

If it were me, I would export the appliance, back it up, and import to the new version of VirtualBox.

as i said im a COMPLETE nube. i can barley do anything it took me an hour on how to find my components on this

Beans

as i said im a COMPLETE nube. i can barley do anything it took me an hour on how to find my components on this