Thread: 9.04 on a Pismo Laptop (Powerbook G3 Firewire)

Beans

Post 9.04 on a Pismo Laptop (Powerbook G3 Firewire)

Hello everyone.

I just yesterday decided to give my Pismo new life by installing Ubuntu 9.04 on it. The install went flawlessly (though I did need to use the alternative CD).

However, on boot, the xserver screen is garbled (weird colors and streaks/lines throughout).

I figure it's the graphics setting, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to fine tune it. I've used Linux a little in the past and always was directed to the xorg.conf file, but it now seems to be completely empty (I'm to understand Ubuntu handles display settings elsewhere).

My question is simple: Have any Ubuntu 9.04 PowerPC users managed to get a successful install *and* successfully running xserver system going on a Pismo?

If so, what settings do I need to change from the Console (as I can't get to a GUI)?

Just for sake of completeness, the Pismo has a Rage128 Mobility Video Card (AGP x2) with 8 MBs of Ram.

Any help would be appreciated *very* much!
    TIA.

Beans

Talking Re: 9.04 on a Pismo Laptop (Powerbook G3 Firewire)

and SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind telling you this was a little more work than I thought (though nowhere near as difficult as the OldWorld mac installs )

After jumping through reinstall after reinstall (bouncing between Yellow Dog Linux and back to Ubuntu, etc.) I have a fully working Xorg Server!!!

I'll skip right to the chase for anyone who might be trying the same on similar hardware:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    Option "AGPMode" "2"
    BusID "PCI:0:16:0"
    Option "UseFBDev" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 28-51
    VertRefresh 43-60
    # Option "dpms" "on"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    You take a default install of Ubuntu Jaunty...

Switch to Console 1 (assuming your screen is screwed, etc. in X11)

Run

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    To get rid of the completely blank xorg.conf and give you something to start with.

After dpkg runs,

nano sudo /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Simply replace everything relevant with the copy above.

NOW!!! A note about the screen, those frequencies work fine with *MY* Pismo's LCD, YMMV.

However, I'm convinced the hardware part (make sure to include the AGP comments, else it will try to drive the Rage 128 card in AGP X1 mode instead of AGP X2, not much difference, but it did bump FPS from around 250 -> 450, so no reason to ignore it )

I'm hoping this might be helpful to anyone with a similar aged machine (I'm thinking several models of iMac also came with this hardware setup, though the monitor frequencies are undoubtedly different).

Anyway, I'm hoping it saves someone else from frustration!

Beans

Re: 9.04 on a Pismo Laptop (Powerbook G3 Firewire)

I have a g3 ibook 500mh, 640RAM. Running Jaunty okay after .conf change. Everything works and it doesn't seem slow at all. But the cursor hops and sometimes it disappears. I can be typing along and suddenly no cursor. It can be gone off into another file. No kidding. I have tried to change various settings. Wow. I don't know if it is hardware or a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by goatkeeper View Post
    I have a g3 ibook 500mh, 640RAM. Running Jaunty okay after .conf change. Everything works and it doesn't seem slow at all. But the cursor hops and sometimes it disappears. I can be typing along and suddenly no cursor. It can be gone off into another file. No kidding. I have tried to change various settings. Wow. I don't know if it is hardware or a bug.
    ---Same thing here. Using either KDE or LXDE I get a twitchy mouse pointer and every time I want to access the menu on an application (file,edit,etc...) I have to click it fast several times for it to "catch", then I can click once and get the menu. The main K menu works fine, but I also have trouble with the applets on the menu bar. It won't let me right click most of the time.

I have a G3 iMac 400MHz, and finally got it to work. I loaded Debian Lenny 5.03 since I had trouble with Ubuntu 9.04 on it. My tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283932.
    Mac user - Linux noob - Haiku tester
    Pentium E6300 2.8GHz / 2GB RAM / 160-80GB HDs / 512MB GeForce 8400 GS / iMic Audio
    Mac OS 10.7.5 / Ubuntu Studio 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MJMullinII View Post
    and SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't mind telling you this was a little more work than I thought (though nowhere near as difficult as the OldWorld mac installs )

After jumping through reinstall after reinstall (bouncing between Yellow Dog Linux and back to Ubuntu, etc.) I have a fully working Xorg Server!!!

I'll skip right to the chase for anyone who might be trying the same on similar hardware:

You take a default install of Ubuntu Jaunty...

Switch to Console 1 (assuming your screen is screwed, etc. in X11)

Run

To get rid of the completely blank xorg.conf and give you something to start with.

After dpkg runs,

Simply replace everything relevant with the copy above.

NOW!!! A note about the screen, those frequencies work fine with *MY* Pismo's LCD, YMMV.

However, I'm convinced the hardware part (make sure to include the AGP comments, else it will try to drive the Rage 128 card in AGP X1 mode instead of AGP X2, not much difference, but it did bump FPS from around 250 -> 450, so no reason to ignore it )

I'm hoping this might be helpful to anyone with a similar aged machine (I'm thinking several models of iMac also came with this hardware setup, though the monitor frequencies are undoubtedly different).

Anyway, I'm hoping it saves someone else from frustration!
    Can it run compiz? Although I've been getting into the Awesomewm look but it would still be nice to have the option of running compiz
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Things slightly changed in 9.10

I've been messing a bit and I've found out that right now you get no old-style xorg.conf output from a

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.

No problem!

Open terminal and go in the X11 config folder:

cd /etc/X11

Here create a xorg.conf file with the editor you prefer:

sudo nano xorg.conf (you can digit gedit or leafpad or mousepad or any text editor you like instead of nano)

and in xorg JUST digit these:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Save it and digit

startx

BAM.
    Your colors are safe!

ps
    why 16 bits when you can have 24?
    Last edited by LtPitt; January 29th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm trying what the OP has posted, but I keep getting a "No Such file or directory" after typing all that display info. How do I create this xorg.conf file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    paste the text in it
    CTRL-X and "y" to exit and save

You might want to try my Pismo file for Karmic Koala:
    http://mac.linux.be/content/xorgconf...o-karmic-koala
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org