Thread: how do i make VLC default player?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

how do i make VLC default player?

how do I make jaunty 9.04 have vlc as my default player everything always wants to open with Totem player I want it to auto open with the VLC.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: how do i make VLC default player?

Easy. Right click the file type (the video file) and then go to the open with tab. There you should see listed totem, VLC and any other video players. Just select VLC and close, then all the same types of files will open with it forever. If you want to change again just repeat. If you have several different types of video files repeat for each, like say avi's, mkv, mp4...

Beans
    Distro

the odd part is it dose not show the vlc player to be a option just shows the totem player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

quick edit ....

Easy. Right click the file type (the video file) SELECT PROPERTIES and then go to the open with tab. There you should see listed totem, VLC and any other video players. Just select VLC and close, then all the same types of files will open with it forever. If you want to change again just repeat. If you have several different types of video files repeat for each, like say avi's, mkv, mp4...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by RD1 View Post
    quick edit ....
    Hahah! Sorry Fry and the Professor were distracting me on the other screen.

RDI is correct with his insertion, you right click the video file then > Properties > open with... tab and then select the player of your choice. It should be in the selection pane unless something funky happened during installation.

For removable media (cd, dvd, ) you can set in file management -> media
    from terminal
    Code:
    nautilus-file-management-properties
    For single files off of the d. left click as mentioned set once per file type from r.click -> properties -> open with

For vlc 0.9.x and 1.0 there is a option in tools -> preferences to " Allow only one instance' which you'd want to set.

Unfortunately the companion setting " Enqueue files in playlist when in one instance mode" doesn't work

Without that when adding add. files they will be queued and start playing, bypassing current and other files.

A more useful choice atm for the right click -> properties -> open with would be to continue on and click add -> use custom command

For a custom command use
    Code:
    vlc  --playlist-enqueue
    Back on the add screen you'll see a new choice 'vlc' in small letters (though there may be more than one

What you should do now is give your custom command a unique name

To do so immediately go to home folder -> .local/share/applications. The custom command is actually a userapp.desktop seen as a blue diamond icon with a display name in this case of vlc.

Right click on it -> properties and give a new display name - I used Vlc Enqueue. You can give it a vlc icon if desired.

Then when r. clicking -> properties .... on other file types you'll see Vlc Enqueue as a choice.
    Screen one shows that, the highlighted one shows how it would look before the renaming. (vlc)

screen 2 show the properties of the custom command (userapp.desktop) in case you find a couple in `/.local/share/applications

You only need to set up one custom command, can be used on any file type you wish from d. left click or the r. click menu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

work like a charm thanks guys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You might also want to set your preferred multimedia application to VLC:
    Open System, Preferences, Preferred Applications, then change to Multimedia tab, choose Custom, and enter vlc.

Beans

Thanks a lot all u guys.....

Beans

I'm unable to set VLC as my default player for MP4. Neither right-clicking and choosing "Open with Other Application" nor using Preferences > Preferred Applications is working.

It only works if I delete Totem (which is not what I want, as I prefer it for MP3 files).

Also, since a fresh install last week, Totem has been acting strange, not letting me browse to different points on video files (they are not corrupted, working fine on VLC), but that's an issue for another topic, I guess.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

Thanks,

Eduardo