Thread: down-grade?

Beans

down-grade?

Hello,
    I (noobnoobnoobooob) upgraded from from hardy to jaunty. Looks fine, but my computer seems too old to handle this version, it got terribly slow. So, I would like to get back to hardy without loosing all my stuff. Any suggestions ???

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: down-grade?

Backup data you want to keep, and install Hardy.

Beans

What exactly is the "stuff" you are referring to? data?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yep, I reckon that is what oldos2er means; backup anything you want to keep (read: your personal data) in case you mess up your partitioning, and reinstall. Downgrading is not really an option. Download the latest Hardy and reinstall. (Or use the version of 8.04 that was working last.) 8.04 is over a year old so it is going to be more stable. Jaunty seems to have its quirks for now (more than Hardy that is!).

Last edited by Bucky Ball; July 8th, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

why don't you back up and do a clean install of 9.04. A lot of people on here have had problems with the upgrade process to Jaunty. This is not to say there are no successes, but if you will peruse back thru the forum from now back till 9.04 released there are a lot of threads complaining about I upgraded to jaunty and now this...

If you ran 8.04 fine you should be able to run 9.04, unless you have one of those darn ATI vid cards that have had their support terminated.

You don't have to take my word for it, it is in black & white- investigate our forum and see all the threads complaining about the upgrade to jaunty.
    Multi-boot: Arch linux, Ubuntu 12.04, Windows 7 & Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I suppose the only way to 'Downgrade' is to format your partition and install hardy

Beans

@ Antiqua amans

If you don´t already have separate home partition make one.After that reinstall Hardy on top of your root partition.Do not format home partition.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.

Beans

Thanks everybody, I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. I guess an external hard-drive is a good start. What I didn't really get, is: does 9.04 not ask more from my comp than 8.04? I mean, should my old pentium 4 IBM still be able to run it smoothly?

Beans

I think you will find answer here.
    There is no greater religion than a truth.