Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firefox Flash performace = poor - very poor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Firefox Flash performace = poor - very poor

A bad coded flash by adobe in combination with your lack in ati drivers gives you this bad resoult. Changing browsers wont do any good. Its not about browser, its about adobe flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by blackgr View Post
    A bad coded flash by adobe in combination with your lack in ati drivers gives you this bad resoult. Changing browsers wont do any good. Its not about browser, its about adobe flash.
    I have tried the flash alternatives, but there no good, can you suggest anything to solve it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

hm i didnt see this before "3gig P4" .My friend also had flash problem with an old amd cpu and when he upgraded it he was ok. I know... you'll propably say.. "but in windows it worked fine". Its all about bad flash players in linux. When i visit the site you provided and i navigate around, my cpu usage goes to 20-30% in Quad Core 2.4 Intel. Well i cant suggest anything. A system upgrate i dont think is an option.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You misunderstood. I tested the site you pointed to and it works fine for me. I meant that there will be no more official ATI drivers for us, just the open source ones. If you want to use the drivers from ATI you either would have to manually downgrade xorg or go back to intrepid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by martinbaselier View Post
    You misunderstood. I tested the site you pointed to and it works fine for me. I meant that there will be no more official ATI drivers for us, just the open source ones. If you want to use the drivers from ATI you either would have to manually downgrade xorg or go back to intrepid.
    well it works fine for you, and your using an ATI x800?? with jaunty and firefox 3?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I'm using an X700 with jaunty and firefox 3.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by martinbaselier View Post
    I'm using an X700 with jaunty and firefox 3.
    hummm so why is mine so bad...?

would you mind doing a
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    so your jaunty plays this site ( http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/results.ftl ) fine with nvidia?

my PC should be more than capable of a flash site
    3gig P4
    2GB ram
    ATI Technologies Inc R420 [Radeon X800 PRO/GTO]
    Yes, but like I said, I upgraded the motherboard and video card.

This is just a code bloat problem (Linux is not immune). Every Ubuntu version gets slower and slower (just like every other OS). You need to make the decision to upgrade your hardware, or to stay with the older versions.

I switched from an old P4 with an ATI card, to a Xeon and an Nvidia card.

With my old machine I could watch CNN videos under Intrepid (90% CPU utilization), but not with Jaunty (the video was jerky as hell with Jaunty) (100% CPU utilization).

With my new machine I can watch CNN videos with Jaunty (40% CPU utilization).

I went from a 3GHz P4 to a 3.6GHz Xeon, so I doubt that is really the issue since the bus speeds are the same. I think the real benefit came from switching from an ATI card to an Nvidia based card.
    Last edited by dlmarti; July 7th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.

Beans

Bottom line is a decent Nvidia based card is about 30-40 dollars, thats really cheap given all the problems is solves.

edit: I just found one for less than 18 bucks: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...-02CLG&cat=VCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dlmarti View Post
    Yes, but like I said, I upgraded the motherboard and video card.

This is just a code bloat problem (Linux is not immune). Every Ubuntu version gets slower and slower (just like every other OS). You need to make the decision to upgrade your hardware, or to stay with the older versions.

I switched from an old P4 with an ATI card, to a Xeon and an Nvidia card.

With my old machine I could watch CNN videos under Intrepid, but not with Jaunty (the video was jerky as hell with Jaunty).

With my new machine I can watch CNN videos with Jaunty.
    I really struggle to believe its a Hardware fault, am on a fairly new install of ubuntu 9.04, on the machine i have had vista running flash better...

I agree Nvidia would more than likley solve the problem but then again so would bootin windows... there must be a way to fix jaunty with an old ati to play flash - if not then that just aint ubuntu....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast