Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a new printer please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unhappy Advice on a new printer please

Hi!

I am looking at buying a new mono laser printer. I am trying to make the switch from Windows to Ubuntu and printing is the "last barrier". I have a Canon LBP-1210 mono laser printer that used to be able to be configured for Ubuntu printing but this has not been possible since Ubuntu 8.xx. What I am looking for is something in the AUD100 to AUD200 price range and (most importantly) a printer with a "printer setup" capability like my current Canon on Windows XP. That is, the ability to support portrait, landscape, 2-up on a single A4 page and good print quality.

I have looked at the type of printers available from Harris Technology (a computer store in Canberra) here is the link:

Mono Laser Printers and Entry-Level Mono Laser Printers

From the printers on that page my research shows that the following have Linux drivers:

* HP LaserJet P1005
    * HP LaserJet P1006
    * HP LaserJet P1505 (this is outside my price range but might be Ok)
    * Samsung ML-1640
    * Lexmark E120n
    * Brother HL-2140
    * Brother HL-5340D (a new model not on the HT website yet)

HP printers seem to have HP Linux Imaging and Printing software
    already included in Ubuntu 9.04.

Both the Brother printers have cupswrapper drivers and the 5340 has a ppd file.

Has anyone had any experience with any of these printers or can you recommend something similar.

Thanks in advance,
    Peter
    There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things -- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6

Beans

Re: Advice on a new printer please

Hi,
    HP support is, on the whole, really good. The HPLIP software works really well (I've got a C7280 'cause I got sick of the PC the printer was networked off being off) and you shouldn't have any problems with their other models.

Beans
    Hidden!

HP has best support, Epson comes second, don't think about any other.

Beans

HP might have good Linux support but their LaserJet series of laser printers are way too expensive for what you get.

The Brother 2140 laser seems to receive good reviews from Linux users and the prices sometimes even get reduced once in a while.

Btw, I agree with the OP's (pja) printer list. That's basically what I would come up with, too, regarding comparisons.

How did this work out? I'm considering the Samsung ML-1640 from your list. I'm seeing some difficulties on here with the P1005.

Edit: I'm now also looking at and leaning towards the Brother HL-2140
    Last edited by coolbrook; September 4th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Avoid Brother - had massive issues with drivers
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans

I thought there were several people on here satisfied with the Brother 21xx series or maybe after a lot of hassle installing the drivers?

I think the problem with those Brother printers is that they put out a lot of power consumption at even idle. The 2140/2170 supposedly is noisy at idle too or at least, runs at excessive wattage?

Anyway, for laser printers, I'd go with HP or Samsung and for inkjet, I'd choose HP or Canon.

I read comments of those complaining about the noise of the Samsung at idle. I took the plunge and went with the wireless Brother based on the reviews. I'll tackle it tonight or tomorrow.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, I've a samsung CLP-315 (laser color), and couldn't be happier. Samsung printers come (usually) with drivers from the manufacturer, which are installed in much the same way as in *******. It tells you the tonner level, has a lot of configurable stuff, etc. You can also use the free drivers provided in ubuntu, which work just fine but without fancy features.

HP has good support as well, but for me the order is samsung > hp > others.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Avoid Kodak. Although I am pleased with my aio, I have been able to use it only with windows. There are no linux driver available.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast