Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Boot After Upgrading To 2.6.31

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't Boot After Upgrading To 2.6.31

Hi synace,

Post #28: Not too surprising Threshold did nothing, I think it's for stylus (maybe eraser). But worth trying everything for sure. Section 5.1 on the LWP HOWTO can have more complete definitions. Capacity is disappointing. I think that suggests what we suspected, N-trig isn't too well integrated with the linuxwacom drivers yet. Plenty more parameters to play with.

Post #29: TX2000 and TX2500 only have had 2 out of 4 bezel buttons working. Xorg seems to love changing button mapping with each Xserver version so going to Intrepid broke those 2 buttons. What we did was stop the hotkey-setup daemon, broke the sym links, and restarted it. That got the 2 bezel buttons back in Intrepid. That's the key code addendum on the Rotation HOW TO.

HP changed the bezel buttons on the TX2z so the situation is even worse. If xev didn't give a keycode you were out of luck. Because I've seen other laptops map their buttons through their kernel module, my guess is the signal is going to HP-WMI, but Matthew Garrett hasn't set it up to deal with buttons. Which is weird since he has a TX2500.

You could try lshal and see if an "unknown button(s)" is present. Or use the HAL gui front end Device Manager.

On the swivel hinge my understanding is that you are suppose to apply Matthew's patch to the 2.6.30 module and then replace the 2.6.28 module with it. Not sure what the problem is, maybe with MisteR2's .fdi. If I understood Ayuthia correctly there is a button "press" event from the hinge, but no "release". So apparently nothing happens. So may be the .fdi or it may be there needs to be a laptop specifie "quirk" added upstream to the .fdi where all the brand specific configuration .fdi's are.

Run either script or wacomrotate, not both. With wacomrotate the command for the launcher or the keybinding is (xrandr -q | grep -q '+\w* (' && xrandr -o right || xrandr -o normal). The sleep was just to give Compiz enough time to shut down. I didn't want breakage from rotation too soon. I wonder if Compiz would work in inverted?

Post #30: So maybe the packets being sent before device identified thing. If that got "corrected" would everything start working?
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi synace,
    Post #29: TX2000 and TX2500 only have had 2 out of 4 bezel buttons working. Xorg seems to love changing button mapping with each Xserver version so going to Intrepid broke those 2 buttons. What we did was stop the hotkey-setup daemon, broke the sym links, and restarted it. That got the 2 bezel buttons back in Intrepid. That's the key code addendum on the Rotation HOW TO.

HP changed the bezel buttons on the TX2z so the situation is even worse. If xev didn't give a keycode you were out of luck. Because I've seen
    other laptops map their buttons through their kernel module, my guess is the signal is going to HP-WMI, but Matthew Garrett hasn't set it up to deal with buttons. Which is weird since he has a TX2500.
    I applied the startup change to hotkeys (the only change i saw was to have it start in level 1, if i'm reading it correctly). xev does not report anything for the 3 bezel buttons. i'd be willing to test. do you know what URL he maintains the HP-WMI at? i'll google-fu it.

You could try lshal and see if an "unknown button(s)" is present. Or use the HAL gui front end Device Manager.

On the swivel hinge my understanding is that you are suppose to apply Matthew's patch to the 2.6.30 module and then replace the 2.6.28 module with it. Not sure what the problem is, maybe with MisteR2's .fdi. If I understood Ayuthia correctly there is a button "press" event from the hinge, but no "release". So apparently nothing happens. So may be the .fdi or it may be there needs to be a laptop specifie "quirk" added upstream to the .fdi where all the brand specific configuration .fdi's are.
    so, even with the kernel patch it's only half working? i'll see if lshal shows anything.

Run either script or wacomrotate, not both. With wacomrotate the command for the launcher or the keybinding is (xrandr -q | grep -q '+\w* (' && xrandr -o right || xrandr -o normal). The sleep was just to give Compiz enough time to shut down. I didn't want breakage from rotation too soon. I wonder if Compiz would work in inverted?
    i find that they were working well together, though, i've removed the wacomrotate daemon and added the xsetwacom calls back:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh 

# Find the line in "xrandr -q --verbose" output that contains current screen orientation and "strip" out current orientation. 
    rotation="$(xrandr -q --verbose | grep 'connected' | egrep -o  '\) (normal|left|inverted|right) \(' | egrep -o '(normal|left|inverted|right)')" 

# Using current screen orientation proceed to rotate screen and input tools. 
    case "$rotation" in 
        normal) 
        # rotate to the left 
        # start metacity
        metacity --replace &
        xrandr -o left
        xsetwacom set stylus rotate CCW
        xsetwacom set touch rotate CCW
        ;; 

left) 
        # rotate to inverted 
        xrandr -o inverted 
        xsetwacom set stylus rotate HALF
        xsetwacom set touch rotate HALF
        ;; 

inverted) 
        # rotate to the right 
        xrandr -o right
        xsetwacom set stylus rotate CW
        xsetwacom set touch rotate CW
        ;; 

right) 
        # rotate to normal 
        xrandr -o normal
        xsetwacom set stylus rotate NONE
        xsetwacom set touch rotate NONE
        # start compiz
        compiz --replace &
        ;; 
    esac
    Post #30: So maybe the packets being sent before device identified thing. If that got "corrected" would everything start working?
    i think that could be utilized to 'kill' touch when the digitizer is near (palm/hand ignore). then, when the digitizer is gone for a timeout, listen for a distinct double touch to re-activate? hrm.. have to talk to the driver dev. i'm willing to test!

Beans
    Distro

Hi synace,

I may have the url for HP-WMI, I'll have to look around. I think I've seen him posting on the kernel.org list and his blog.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying with wacomrotate. What you were doing is fine. Wacomrotate just has the xsetwacom calls built in. Tom Jaeger feels that's the way Xserver should be set up to begin with. By the way check out his EasyStroke program.

I don't have a contact for Rafi Rubin. Just his XT site with the patches and I see him posting on the LWP dev-list.

Edit: A little more info. from Nimless on post #34: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1162477&page=4
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Beans

reading about fglrx + compiz + xrandr..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/132065

ahh. i see:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimless View Post
    Also the problem of the "finger taps" persist on both firmware after using stylus, but apparently as Ayuthia said sliding two fingers on the screen solves the problem o_O

On kernel 2.6.31-rc1 from the ubuntu kernel ppa the problem is persistent.
    yeah, using two fingers provides no restoration to the 100% awesomeness that i first get w/ boot & not using stylus.

should i try the ati or radeon driver(s)?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...7&postcount=43

synace@synacetablet:~$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.8575
    Last edited by synace; July 10th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Yep, good luck with that one.

Semi-random links:

Rafi's site: http://ofb.net/~rafi/latitude_xt.html

Matthew's blog: http://www.advogato.org/person/mjg59...html?start=198

messing with hotkeys: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11424
    http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118562

Edit: Radeon seems pretty stable. I don't think it supports 3-D/Compiz yet.
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2009 at 10:06 PM.

Beans

fglrx w/ the rotate compiz/metacity toggle is working well for me (just need the bezel button now! )

i thought radeon 'could' support compiz..

http://ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/04/...n-drivers.html

Beans

lshal has some interesting things in there.. perhaps setting the keyboard to another type (extended of somekind) will allow those 3 side buttons?

as per: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...19&postcount=2

no acpi events fired on those buttons.

you would think HP would have a linux evangelist supporting this stuff.
    Last edited by synace; July 10th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hi synace,

Well dragging a launcher into the top panel and getting it down to a single click isn't too bad. And it has the advantage of working in portrait. I have one set up to Tom's wacomrotate. Then one in my dock to my script and one using the same script to my bezel button "Q" key. Redundancy. And I've modified the scripts to kill and restart my cairo-dock because it doesn't resize correctly on reorientation.

I think that's wrong. They keep promising radeon support for Compiz but I don't think it's happened. But I could be wrong.

Some people claim going to the evdev keyboard layout gives them access to buttons and keys that were dead. So who knows.

Edit: Yeah I've done all that stuff on my two dead keys and swivel hinge. Only MisteR2 made progress. But yours aren't the same so it's worth double checking everything.
    Edit: Especially since they sell linux pre-installed. I've given up trying to understand why the OEM's do what they do. I suspect all sorts of contracts and NDA's, not just economics.
    Last edited by Favux; July 10th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

think we can isolate the issue of the stylus killing touchscreen effectiveness? if we do, we could add a simple gesture to run a script that resets the input to the same state as a fresh boot of X? (you would fire this gesture when you're putting the stylus away)

note, on fresh boot. rotation w/ compiz/metacity toggle keeps touchscreen accuracy through rotates.

i suppose the same functionality could be used to disable 'touch' input when 'stylus' is inputting...

i think basically what we have here is 'touch' is working 100%. stylus comes to play & breaks everything. let's play w/ the settings in the stylus inputDevice.
    Last edited by synace; July 10th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Sounds good, I listed them on the other thread.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast