Thread: 686 kernal issue on shutdown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

686 kernal issue on shutdown

I recently upgraded my 386 kernal to the 686 to take advantage of the smp capabilities. My problem is that now when I go to shut down the machine it gets to the bottom of closing the modules etc. it stops at powerdown and then just sits there.
    I followed the one post (don't have it in front of me) that said to add "apm" to the /etc/modules and that should work. All it did was keep rebooting the machine, after I manually powered it down.
    Then I tried adding the following to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file "acpi=off apm=off" as indicated.

title Unbuntu, kernal 206012-10-686-smp
    root (hd0,0)
    kernal /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-10-686-smp root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash acpi=off apm=off
    initrd /boot.initrd.img-2.6.12-10-686-smp
    savdefault
    boot

With the 386 kernal the system shut down as it should, with the 686 it does not. HELP PLEASE!!!!
    The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, pray for all of our troops!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: 686 kernal issue on shutdown

not a backport issue - please use support forums
    Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: 686 kernal issue on shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Mez
    not a backport issue - please use support forums
    It's been posted in the desktop support forums for over a month now. I haven't posted it too because his problem is the same as mine. Where would you suggest we post it since we cannot get any support from desktop support over this shutdown issue? Some guidance would be much appreciated, please point us to the forum that we might get a response from.
    Thanks a million
    Treat people like you want to be treated. www.truckerspaces.com is where I'm at. Running on Red Hat