Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox, Exchange 2007/MAPI, and ZUNE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Virtualbox, Exchange 2007/MAPI, and ZUNE

I'm reluctant to post this, but I've searched a bunch of places, and found no definitive answers.

I want to avoid dual boot (Jaunty 64/XP Pro) on a Pangolin Performance if I can, but I need:

1. Outlook connecting to Exchange Server 2007 via MAPI, with all functionality (calendar, etc.),

2. Full ZUNE functionality (synch, update, etc.) (for my kid).

Does anyone know if Virtualbox can do these things hosting XP Pro? If it can, I can install Virtualbox, and avoid dual boot.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Virtualbox, Exchange 2007/MAPI, and ZUNE

I've installed and used VirtualBox for cross-platform software testing. But never anything complicated.

My estimation is that it is very versatile. But I don't really have experience with the software you mentioned.

Let's see if some other 76ers have any insight on it.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello,
    I don't know anything about the sync function of a Zune.
    I do use Virtualbox once in a while, when I wish to use AutoCad. VB is a nice tool, and works well. I keep an XP virtual machine, just for that purpose.

I'm quite sure you could run Outlook in a virtual machine just fine. Although, I do think that the Evolution email client will now work with Exchange 2k7.

bertmanphx
    Fedora 18
    Ubuntu 12.04.1

Beans

I haven't tried synching a Zune, but I have been able to sync my smartphone (Windows Mobile via ActiveSync) succesfully with my XP virtual machine. (I think it's actually quite impressive to watch!)

I would imagine that Outlook should be fine. It's certainly worth trying before you go with the dual boot option, since you can obviously use your Zune & MS Outlook while continuing to use your Linux apps. Plus the 'seamless' mode integrates the XP app windows into the Linux desktop pretty well!

Good luck with it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've used VB quite a bit to test different configuration and scenarios. It is great to do "what if" kind of testing, or for working out software setup tasks. Setup a base system, make a snapshot, change some configurations around... if it works make another snapshot, if not revert. Rinse, repeat.

VirtualBox works great except for these scenarios IMHO:
    A) 3D applications. It is not really intended to run 3d game, look to other apps (like WINE) to do that
    B) Things that need very specific access to your hardware. For example, a hardware raid scenario would probably be difficult to mimic in VB.

That being said:
    1. I'm certain that VB will run Outlook and connect to exchange successfully. It shouldn't require specific hardware access (unless you have something like smart card authentication, in which case it may work... never hurts to try).

2. The key that you are looking for in making the Zune sync is USB pass through support, which was added in one of the more recent releases of VB (not sure on version). Like anything new there are a few hiccups, but I know that this was key to getting things working with the iPhone & VB.

Hope that was helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've used VB quite often, and it sounds like it would definitely suit your needs. There is one note: Make sure you get the Closed Source version rather than the Open Source Version. Last I heard, the OSE version did not enable USB pass through support, although that may have changed (or will soon). Using Outlook for Exchange only requires a net connection, you can use either the Bridged or NAT network setting for that, and as far as Zune is concerned, all you need is USB support for the device, easily done.

As a side note to the earlier post: VB has put in an OpenGL bridge to allow OpenGL to directly access the video card rather than using the virtual graphic driver. Word on the street is on the 3.0.2 beta version they are working on enabling DirectX capability for graphics (so you could run those games in VM rather than Wine), but this is still a work-in-progress beta version.

Beans

Good point, Derath. Only closed-source supports USB pass-through. The feature has been implemented since at least v1.6 of VB. I v2.2.4 is the most recent stable version.

Thanks for the note on 3D support in v3.0! I'm gonna try that out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Virtualbox works great, I recommend using the official version, you can get the apt information off their website to add their repository to your system(/etc/apt/source.list).

Note that when using the official version you have to recompile or download a new kernel module after each kernel update so I recommend using the official version. They just released 3.0 today. So I highly recommend adding the official repository to your source list. Or keeping the deb handy.

Your want to forward USB ports to the xp system and make sure to install the guest services for full support.
    Zune and exchange work great from my experience with XP Pro sp3 in VirtualBox 3.

The new version of virtualbox is suppose to have some experimental directX support as well, but I haven't tested it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

NP Jozza, I am eagerly awaiting the actual release of v3, as it would resolve my wife's issue of not being able to play some games. although I may have to give her a 30-40G virtual drive for that one As soon as it's released I'll be trying some of the hidden object games that she likes. Blasted ActiveX and DirectX requirements...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Derath View Post
    NP Jozza, I am eagerly awaiting the actual release of v3, as it would resolve my wife's issue of not being able to play some games. although I may have to give her a 30-40G virtual drive for that one As soon as it's released I'll be trying some of the hidden object games that she likes. Blasted ActiveX and DirectX requirements...
    They Officially announced v3 on their face-book yesterday.
    You have to manually install it, it won't upgrade 2.X to 3 automatically
    if you have the offical repositories
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.0
    then run
    Code:
    sudo echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian jaunty non-free" >> /etc/apt/source.list
    wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/sun_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-3.0
    Source: http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast