Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fun stuff to do in linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: fun stuff to do in linux?

nice, i want to make a final fantasy 7 victory theme ringtone
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2GHz| GPU: GTX 780| Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX | RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
    i dont know, all this power and i'm still playing nethack

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by insanity99 View Post
    nice, i want to make a final fantasy 7 victory theme ringtone
    Use Audacity to cut out the part you want and then to save it at a certain bitrate, most phones have a limit on the size of a ringtone, I think my N95 has a limit of 700KB for each ringtone.
    Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz/ 4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM/ nVidia 9600GT 512MB/ Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G
    That fuzzy feeling in your head is your brain working, thanks to Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dhughes View Post
    Use Audacity to cut out the part you want and then to save it at a certain bitrate, most phones have a limit on the size of a ringtone, I think my N95 has a limit of 700KB for each ringtone.
    yeah i'll do that thanks.

OMG i just watched Sasuke fight Orucimaru in ASCII, epic lol.
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 4.2GHz| GPU: GTX 780| Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX | RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Smile Re: fun stuff to do in linux?

Hmmm not sure what you're looking for but there is a very long list from audio and video recording/editing, digital art creation, computer programming in several languages to desktop publishing, video games, network administration and web site hosting.

This link should help a bit for the average user... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7418021
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people keep coming along and sticking things in it - Opus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First thing what you cannot be in windows is be free. What? Yes, be free of drivers (proprietary that you must install), spyware, trojans, viruses, search bars, shareware countdowns, everybody wanting your money.... you add if I miss something...

Love using software made from passion not $$$. Second, feeling safe. Yes, safe, because now I am The One who spread terror in neighbourhood cracking other people wireless and... HEHE just joking

seriously, how about benefit of full control of your computer. I mean I can lock my laptop on specific Mhz or turn off FAN if I want to watch movie in peace... This is just example.. Most time I surf, play, or other stuff in peace and not my computer is collecting data about my habits... hehe, so long

edit:
    I forgot something else.. I get bored really fast with same interface. I like to change skin every week or two and I like to be entertained by some animations when I working something. That is important fun part baside I tell before..
    Last edited by moster; July 6th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TrakerJon View Post
    Hmmm not sure what you're looking for but there is a very long list from audio and video recording/editing, digital art creation, computer programming in several languages to desktop publishing, video games, network administration and web site hosting.

This link should help a bit for the average user... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7418021
    that link is awesome thanks man

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

one of the reasons i got linux is because my friend told me there is lot's of fun stuff to do in linux which you cant do in windows. can someone suggest anything?
    I recomend using ettercap on someone else's network and changing all their fav. pages and redirecting them to icanhascheezburger.com.

Guys! C'mon and help. We need "DA FUN STUFF" :3
    Typos? Hell yaw!~ | Desktop? | Linux user #493687
    すべてと、そして、すべてへのリナックスは自由を鳴らせました。

Beans

Hi insanity99,

say what now? no way...
    As my teenagers would say 'Yes way...' . I attach a screenshot of ascii movie playback in action.

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dhughes View Post
    Using ffmpeg to strip audio from a Youtube video in mere seconds and then save it as a .wav file to use as a ring tone, is fun.

Code:
     ffmpeg -i /home/user/video.mp4 -vn -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 44100 -ac 2 soundfile.wav
    Of course, change "user" to your account, video.mp4 to the video you want to convert and "soundfile" to the name you want.

I used pwnyoutube to download the video first.
    i love the command line.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12