Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What got you started in technology?

Beans

What got you started in technology?

Hey ladies.

What was it that got you interested in computers and technology?
    Last edited by RoninGurl; January 21st, 2006 at 10:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: What got you started in technology?

I am not a lady by any means but my Computer Graphics and Game Programming professor (same person) was going to become an artistic painter but took a computer graphics class back in the packman era when games started becoming pixel based instead of text graphics and that's how she got a master's in comp sci but has a bachelor (sp?) in an art related major. it's the story she tells to anyone who asks ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Back in the '80s I worked for a large government department in New Zealand. They were moving from a centralised mainframe to a decentralised NCR Unix server environment. I was employed to assist with the technical support of Uniplex (kind of MS Office for Unix - before there was such a thing as MS Office). 20 years on I have worked on every incarnation of Windows (including OS/2 LAN Manager) and look back with fondness to the ease of use of Unix and a sense of regret that the world could have been different place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I always found technology interesting. I remember being 18, about to go to college, and didn't know what to major in. I loved hooking up electronics, loved math, and science. When I was creating my classes, a couselor put me in Comp Sci 15 ( C++ programming). I failed the class, but ironically, was intrigued with programming and computer science. The next semester, I passed that class with an A. I majored in Comp Sci and graduated 5 years later (with almost giving up on it since I found it difficult)..but I'm glad I stuck with it, because now it's a little key to any path I want to take when it comes to my career. I only wish I had started earlier in high school by taking basic programming classes, so I would have had an easier time in college. I'm teaching myself new things all the time now though, so that's good

Beans

Those are some interesting explanations so far. Unfortunately, I am too young to have used much of the technologies stemar spoke of in any professional capacity. I do, however, remember fiddling with that office thing when I was with my dad at work. Though I always was playing some game or bugging his secretary for candy. But hey, I was a little girl so you can't blame me for spinning in circles.

I do not really want to go for a computer sciences degree like BinaryDigit has decided to do. For me they are really just a hobby I suppose. I know a lot of about Windows and can fix most anything on the Windows and Mac OS X side of the operating system market and I know a lot of the basic command for UNIX / Linux but I never really liked any of the window managers for Linux. They always lacked the refinement I found in Windows and Mac OS. And none of the Linux offshoots even came close to supporting wireless network well, much less natively. At least in my case. I realize there are those who have had it working for a few years now, but not me. Though that kept me interested in Linux for some weird reason. I always kept trying to get it working with each new release of a Linux distro.

What really got me interested in technology was just a general love for learning. The same drive that pushed me to learn a lot about automotive topics. I found a lot of fun games too but the primary drive was just a joy for learning and computers were definitely a way to learn, even before they started to say that it was getting to the point you needed to know how to use computers to be successful in almost any field of work these days. I’ve always been the girl in the background lurking at computer user groups and discussion forums (including a dozen or so Linux distributions that I’ve personally tried).

Sorry it wasn’t as fascinating as yours but really it’s just a joy for learning.
    Last edited by RoninGurl; January 31st, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by RoninGurl
    Hey ladies.

What was it that got you interested in computers and technology?
    I hated the way that the techs spoke to me in such a condescending manner, like I was illiterate, and/or mentally challenged on my 1st call for tech support 10 yrs ago. Granted I was then, and am still a non techie I decided then that I would do what ever I had to to avoid that type of treatment. I have no degrees, no formal education in computer science or any of the related fields and know next to nothing. Some people even today still treat me as if I am stupid because I have a 50% hearing impairment (they think yelling is the answer) I just ignore them for the most part. I try to help those that need it and ignor the rest.
    Treat people like you want to be treated. www.truckerspaces.com is where I'm at. Running on Red Hat

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwind
    I hated the way that the techs spoke to me in such a condescending manner, like I was illiterate, and/or mentally challenged on my 1st call for tech support 10 yrs ago. Granted I was then, and am still a non techie I decided then that I would do what ever I had to to avoid that type of treatment. I have no degrees, no formal education in computer science or any of the related fields and know next to nothing. Some people even today still treat me as if I am stupid because I have a 50% hearing impairment (they think yelling is the answer) I just ignore them for the most part. I try to help those that need it and ignor the rest.
    This reminds me of a very clever post on Slashdot a few weeks ago. I particularly enjoyed it because I have experienced the exact same thing on many, many occasions. It’s very common to experience situations like that when you’re a woman interested in technology even when you are not working in an IT environment like the poster on Slashdot was. I get that everyday in the school computer lab when I ask a question about something when I’m playing with the command line in a class.

One classic example was when I would tell the man who works at the front desk of the computer lab (it’s always the same guy – it was his job to sit there and answer questions) that the printer is out of paper and that I’d like paper to refill the paper cassette in the HP LaserJet’s. The tech will immediately look down at my chest, look back up to me and ask if I am sure that the printer is out of paper and that I didn’t do something wrong.

Then one day I saw a guy walk up with the same problem, and the tech immediately gave him a package of 200 sheets of paper and let the guy walk off and put it into the paper feeder. I always had the guy figured for an *******. I’d seen him treat others with the same disrespect and elitism but I’ve never been one to jump to conclusions with no proof; so I never let myself think that it was entirely sexist in reasoning.

So, I told myself the next time the printer ran out of paper I was going to carry that 60 pound monster to the desk and slam it down in front of his face and say, it's out of paper and I'm sick of you treating me like I'm a moron. Look for yourself. Refill the paper. Carry it back to the desk yourself. And I asked another man there who was very polite and he gave me the room number for their office. The very next day the guy was inexplicably downsized.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

That was an interesting post on the Slashdot site although I could see it getting childishly out of control.I have experienced a lot of discrimination in my 48 yrs on this earth. When I drove a 18 wheeler (still do when time allows) for 26+ yrs and the last 10 playing in the IT field. Trucking I can say has been a predominantly male profession, and heaven forbid you should own the company, not due to anyones hard work but your own. The nice thing about IT is that I don't have to talk to anyone I don't want to and I don't. I'd say both fields have made great strides but there is always one bad apple to spoil it for the rest.
    Treat people like you want to be treated. www.truckerspaces.com is where I'm at. Running on Red Hat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm still too young to really be working in the IT industry (I'm only 21) and in all honesty I don't know that much about what I'm doing. Most of what I know is either self taught or taught to me by my father, when I was still living at home, or my fiance.

I've always been interested in technology though and have been on the computer since I was 5.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

wrong channel, sorry
    while( !awake ) { sleep() }

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast