Thread: How to change .kde settings directory?

Beans

How to change .kde settings directory?

Hi,
    I have tried kubuntu 9.10, but had to fall back to the good old 7.10, because my graphics card does not work correctly now, and many kde4 applications have lost a lot from their functionality compared to kde3.
    But sometimes I want to boot to 9.10. The problem is, that both kde3 (of ubuntu 7.10) and kde4 (from ubuntu 9.10) use the same config directory: ~/.kde. Where can I change it so that for example kde4 uses .kde4?
    Thanks
    D

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How to change .kde settings directory?

I suspect you will need to have separate /homes for each install, instead of the same one for both, which I assume you must be using at the moment. You can, however, use a shared data folder or partition. That way all the configs related to the different versions of kde will be kept apart, but your data files will be available to both.

Beans

I don't see why I would need separate /homes. In fact, I want to avoid this. It would be sufficient if kde3 and kde4 would use different config folders, for example /home/username/.kde3 and /home/username/.kde4, as it is the case with other distros. IF it's not a compile-time setting, which is the config file which contains the names of these folders?
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

OK, you know more about kde than I do, obviously, as I assumed all the kde configs were in the same place in all distros - shows how much I know! I hope you can sort this out some way.