Thread: Any chance of creating a 'distributed computing' subforum?

Beans
    Hidden!

Lightbulb Any chance of creating a 'distributed computing' subforum?

While searching to see what kind of information exists for the Folding @ Home Project on the Ubuntu Forums, I came to one realization. Whatever posts have been made in the past are RARELY in the same subforum. There are posts about F@H in every category from 'Absolute Beginner's Talk', to x86-64, to Desktop Environments, and just about every other place you could imagine. With information on one topic spread out so far between so many different places, it's very hard for someone who's interested in learning more about a specific topic to be able to find this information. I would thus like to propose creating a new sub-forum for all the distributed computing projects to have one place to focus all of their efforts.

With projects such as Folding @ Home, the World Community Grid, BOINC, Rosetta@Home, and others gaining popularity as more and more people become aware of them, I find that it's becoming more troublesome to not have information for these kinds of projects centralized in one area. I have been on many other forums who have active folding teams, and the one thing they do have setup well is a clear section of the forums dedicated to their computing efforts. I further feel that the efforts and resources donated to these projects fit in very well with the mantra of Ubuntu. They are projects which compromise completely of people volunteering their time and technical knowledge to help out the greater community - or as Ubuntu is literally translated: "Humanity to others" or "I am what I am because of who we all are". I feel that just like Ubuntu, these distributed computing projects are a sum which is greater than it's parts. There is more to Ubuntu and these projects that just what they are, it's what they stand for, it's what they aim to accomplish, and it's about coming together for the greater good of others.

That's just how I feel, but I wanted to throw it out there for others to think about. I'd be willing to help out this new sub-forum in whatever ways I can - be it in a moderator position, helping newcomers understand more about distributed computer, or just welcoming members to the new area

Please let me know how you guys feel, if you have any comments, criticisms, or critiques please post them here, so other's can see them as well.
    Last edited by swoody; July 3rd, 2009 at 05:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Any chance of creating a 'distributed computing' subforum?

I agree with Swoody about this. It'd be nice to have a place to see all the info, what people are saying about Folding, and keeping up with other Folding members.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I second! If this can be a catalyst of awareness to others that such things exist, that each individual can help in fighting diseases by "Distributed Computing", that them being a part of this can speed-up the search for cures, I think is a very big thing.
    Contribute your unused processing power! Help fight Disease!
    Asus1000HG, Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz, 2GB Memory, 160GB Storage
    Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!

I support this action!

Fight the diseases
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think it is unlikely that a new sub-forum would be forthcoming - the last group who wanted one couldn't either.

Beans

I think it would be a good idea to have it all information in one place.

It would make it easier for someone who is interested in contributing towards one of the projects to find information. Also, if someone has a problem with running of the projects then it'd be an easy way to try to get help with whatever issue that they might be having.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    I think it is unlikely that a new sub-forum would be forthcoming - the last group who wanted one couldn't either.
    Forestpixie, thanks for posting here, it's nice to get some insight from a forum member. Can you recall the reasoning that stopped the sub-forum from being created last time? I'm just curious what kind of concerns the Ubuntu Forums had in creating this sub-forum, and maybe we could all work together to figure out a solution to whatever it is that would halter this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The reason for not adding new forums, is because of possible database problems.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    The reason for not adding new forums, is because of possible database problems.
    Cariboo907, thanks for your reply. I just wanted to pick your brain a little bit more. I'm not a systems-admin or anything, so I'm not familiar with what kind of issues would/could be facing by adding a new sub-forum. Could you please clear up what potentialities you'd be facing as far as database issues?

(I hope that doesn't sound rude, I'm just trying to clear this up for my own curiosities )