Thread: apparently random system freeze

Beans

apparently random system freeze

Running Jaunty on a one-month-old System76 laptop (system model "daru3"). The system sometimes freezes when I'm not doing anything - the screen freezes and the computer doesn't react to keyboard or mouse input except force-shut-down with the power button. While it's frozen, the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights blink green.

A quick google search suggested that this might be a memory problem, but I ran memtest86+ and it passed.

What's going on? Is there anything I can do about this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: apparently random system freeze

i have had the same problem half a dozen or more times. also on a 1-month old darter.

i haven't noticed the caps and scroll blinking, but i'll watch for that next time ... but fingers crossed there won't be many more next times it hasn't happened for at least 3 or 4 days.

i have always had firefox open when it happens, but then again i almost always have firefox open. other than that can't see a pattern.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

try the fiirefox 3.5 beta see if that helps

Beans

Sounds like this problem I had: Computer Freezes, CapsLock and ScrollLock blink.
    Installing linux-backports-modules-intrepid seemed to work for me. Hopefully linux-backports-modules-jaunty will do the same for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Right, that is called a kernel panic. If you passed memtest, it's probably not hardware related.

Installing linux-backports-modules-jaunty might help. It's worked on some other machines. But if it doesn't, please do this...

IMMEDIATELY following the next kernel panic, shut your computer down, start it right back up and go straight to System > Admin > System76 Driver > Support > Create.

Attache the logs.tar file created in your home directory to this thread.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Also, it may not apply here because I'm not sure if my Pangolin or any other System 76 computer has a Broadcom wireless card, but a friend of mine as well as tons of other people with Broadcom wireless cards in Intrepid and Jaunty got that exact crash when their connection went below 40%. The simple fix is to uninstall GNOME's default wireless manager and install a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: apparently random system freeze

It's only been a few days since I installed backports, but no more crashes so far!

Beans

I have a problem that seems like it's the same in version 10.10. I suspect my wireless driver to be causing the trouble. I have an Atheros AR9285 card, which driver should I install instead?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What model of System76 Computer do you have? I'm not sure we've sold Atheros cards before.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!