Thread: trouble with windows softwares in ubunto

Beans

Thumbs down trouble with windows softwares in ubunto

Hello
    Now I am in a right place. By mistake I installed Ubunto on whole my hard! but later figured out that I can have a windows xp by using virtualbox program. But the things is some stuffs like, MagicJac which is not supported by Ubunto, doen't appear in my new windows xp neither. so now I don't know what I shall do. I also would very much like to use my other softwars which I have liscenced them only for windows, like Matlab. I appreciate your help in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: trouble with windows softwares in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fardmayer View Post
    Hello
    Now I am in a right place. By mistake I installed Ubunto on whole my hard! but later figured out that I can have a windows xp by using virtualbox program. But the things is some stuffs like, MagicJac which is not supported by Ubunto, doen't appear in my new windows xp neither. so now I don't know what I shall do. I also would very much like to use my other softwars which I have liscenced them only for windows, like Matlab. I appreciate your help in advance.
    You have to install them in the actual virtualbox, not on your ubuntu install. So, if you're using a cd, make sure that in the virtualbox settings you have it set so the virtualbox software has access to your cd-rom drive. Then, insert the cd and mount the cd-rom drive- if your software has auto-run, it will prompt you to install it, otherwise you'll need to go to "run" in start menu to get it to start.

I'm working on some screenshots, I'll upload them in a sec...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sarai the Geek; July 2nd, 2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: add screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: trouble with windows softwares in ubunto

You can use recovery disks to restore your Windows. If you do not have the disks you will have to hunt around for them. I found restore disks on a forum for my particular brand of comp. If you have the original install disk of Windows then great!

It's best to wipe your drive first. I used Killdisk and then reinstalled my XP pro. If you are planning on dual-booting from the same drive you may want to type in Dual Booting in the "search" field and find ways to that suit your install needs. Some people triple boot and some people partition their HDD's before installing OS on their units.

Keep asking questions b/c that's the only way you'll get your sitch worked out
    Lenovo ThinkPad X200Tablet
    Lenovo ThinkPad T500
    W7/Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Re: trouble with windows softwares in ubuntu

Thank you very much for your helpful advice. Just one more thing about, for example MagicJac which runs only under windwos and mac. I don't have to install it but if I want to call around I have to plug it in my computer and then dial the numbers. Even if I start with windows, the system doesn't recognize the device.