Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiretoko

Beans

Re: Shiretoko

Mozilla's license is a little stupid. If a distro compiles it themselves they can't call it Firefox and they can't use they official logos either. So that's why it's called Shiretoko.
    I don't know how Ubuntu got the permission to use the Firefox name with 3.0 but they did somehow. So just wait till they get it for 3.5 as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to use firefox 3.5 before it's officially in the repositories, you can just go to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html , download firefox, untar the package, and run the firefox bin inside. Just make sure that when it asks you to make firefox 3.5 your default browser you answer "no"; you should wait until you get the official package before making it default.

Anyway, cut the ubuntu guys some slack. They have to do a comprehensive quality check on Firefox 3.5 before they allow it into the official repository since it's such a crucial piece of software. Give them a couple more days or even a week, it'll get there.
    I wish meatspace had a search function.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I compiled it from source, and I also got Shiretoko. Now I am having trouble getting rid of it as the sudo make uninstall seems broken or non-existent.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by abhi_69 View Post
    i think ubuntu is a good distro, but, sometimes it really make us frustrated. i still using firefox 3.0.11 in ubuntu 9.04 becoz there is no update of firefox 3.5 in official repo still & even ubuntu-mozilla-daily build team repo. (it still installs minefield 3.5 browser, not firefox 3.5 final)...but, my frnds using other distros like openSUSE or Fedora already get latest firefox 3.5.
    this matter really making me unhappy. i want to use firefox 3.5 final version in ubuntu 9.04....i love ubuntu, but, it should concern about such kind of issues....its not a good exeperience for us to wait longer for a new version when other people already using new version.
    Actually the default policy is that you should not be getting Firefox 3.5 until the next Ubuntu release.

By default, packages are updated after release only to provide security updates and to fix serious bugs, never just to add new features.

If you want to always have the latest and greatest program versions you should be using some rolling-release distribution, not Ubuntu. Or be prepared to install the unsupported packages on your own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Shiretoko

Quote Originally Posted by LowSky View Post
    You could always download the source code and install it that way... so stop complaining if the officially labels verison is not in the repos, testing takes time!

Shiretoko is the code name for Firefox 3.5, so dont worry it works. Until a proper backport is completed your stuck with the Shiretoko name, which is nothing to worry about... heck I'm on Arch Linux and it never uses the Firefox name.
    but, i came to know from an internet article that, ubuntu 9.04 repo. will not update to firefox 3.5 & firefox 3.5 will be available only in next release of ubuntu (karmic koala/9.10). this make me afraid. is it true?
    what about this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thats how its intended to work, they don't introduce new apps between releases. You can however install it from source, or another repo (such as backports).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Shiretoko

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Actually the default policy is that you should not be getting Firefox 3.5 until the next Ubuntu release.

By default, packages are updated after release only to provide security updates and to fix serious bugs, never just to add new features.

If you want to always have the latest and greatest program versions you should be using some rolling-release distribution, not Ubuntu. Or be prepared to install the unsupported packages on your own.
    yes, i see the same in that article. firefox 3.5 will be available in ubuntu 9.10 only.
    we hav to wait for ubuntu 9.10......
    i enable jaunty-backport (unsupported) repo. in synaptic. will it help me to get firefox 3.5?
    can anyone inform me?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t4thfavor View Post
    I compiled it from source, and I also got Shiretoko. Now I am having trouble getting rid of it as the sudo make uninstall seems broken or non-existent.
    You can add the flag "ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/official" in your mozconfig file and recompile it and it will be called Firefox. It's just if you are going to redistribute it that you can't call it Firefox.

Also, get checkinstall from the repos and use that instead of make install. Just type "sudo checkinstall" instead and it will make a .deb package that is easy to remove and upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am only not sure why someone do not make .deb file so less experienced users can install it problem free.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Could it be that's not being followed in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion
    To install Firefox 3.5 on Jaunty or Karmic, install the following package: firefox-3.5. It normally takes a few hours or days for new versions of Firefox to be tested and packaged this package currently installs a recent beta version.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.asoftsite.org/s9y/archives/160-FAQ-Where-can-I-get-firefox-3.5-for-Ubuntu.html
    It’s definitely hot news today: firefox 3.5 was released – you can finally stop holding your breath!

Also checkout the release notes or get an overview on what is new in this great release.

So after all the partying, you might end up wondering: “Great, Where can I get it for ubuntu now?”

As usual, the answer depends on what Ubuntu version you are running:

Karmic and Jaunty users:

* just install the currently available firefox-3.5 package from universe and wait. The final bits will be there really soon.
    * If you want to have them earlier, enable ubuntu-mozilla-security PPA where the bits will land first. Enabling this PPA also will help us test security updates before they get rolled to the masses in future; so if you don’t mind a slightly increased risk of breakage keep this enabled; in the unlikely event that you see a regression from this archive, instantly report them to the ubuntu mozillateam.
    * If the security PPA is still not bleeding edge enough for you, go for the daily PPA, a great service that is run by ubuntu mozillateam for quite some time now.
    So, it seems that the firefox-3.5 package in the Jaunty repositories will be updated to point to the final release version once everything is tested.

I got impatient and downloaded it yesterday from the mozilla site. It's noticeably faster (I hadn't tried any of the beta versions before now).

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast