Thread: Games and Videos are glitchy when opened

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Games and Videos are glitchy when opened

Hello. I just got a brand new computer with an i7 920 processor. It seems like it really should never be slow ever, but whenever I open up Savage 2 or I Wanna Be the Guy (through wine), the CPU usage spikes to around 15 % (normally I can't even see it on the system monitor graph on the panel), and rectangular black lines flash up and down the screen until the game loads, which takes a long time, then it stops. Sometimes it doesn't stop, and the game is reeeaalllyyy slow and the black lines stay there until I log out or shut down the computer. I think it takes longer without compiz enabled and it seems like the chances of it working are slimmer.

My video card is a sapphire radeon hd 4870

Does anyone have any guesses as to what is wrong?
    Last edited by Just-trevor; July 1st, 2009 at 12:19 AM.
    "Personal Computer Memory Card International Association, one of the stranger names for a piece of hardware. Your hardware is an association."

Beans
    Distro

Re: Games and Videos are glitchy when opened

The same thing happens when the system is normal clocked.

There is no escape.
    "Personal Computer Memory Card International Association, one of the stranger names for a piece of hardware. Your hardware is an association."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

It may be related to wine under Jaunty. In intrepid I was able to run AOM in wine without any problem, but when I upgraded to Jaunty, then my X restart everytime I launch the game (so no more AOM in Jaunty).
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Distro

Wine programs consistently do that, but movies or linux-native games do the same.

Running firefox through wine makes it all glitchy, too, but it's not just wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Running firefox through wine
    Why do you want to run firefox through wine?

Wine programs consistently do that, but movies or linux-native games do the same.... but it's not just wine.
    What video driver are you using? By any chance you have a ATI chip?
    Servers: Hardy(x4), Lucid(x6);
    Workstations: Quantal(x2), Lucid(x1);
    WM Flavors: Xubuntu(x3)
    Save Energy

Beans
    Distro

First question - because.
    Second - I tried using hardware drivers to install the fglrx driver but that didn't work for some reason so I installed the catalyst driver off the website. The fglrx driver doesn't seem to want to be enabled in hardware drivers. If I try to activate it, it says the driver was just disabled, but is still in use, probably because it is in use. I forget what it said before I installed the catalyst driver of the website, though... I think I'll try reinstalling ubuntu and just starting over...