Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just upgraded, and no ATI video

Beans

Just upgraded, and no ATI video

I just upgraded to jaunty and have no video whatsoever, just a black screen. I have tried the steps outlined here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troublesho...thRadeonDriver

as well as trying to install using envyng. When I did envyng the first time I restarted I sort of got a very distorted(block lines along the bottom third of the screen, and ubuntu logo in choppy negative color values and mirrored/ghosted 3-4 times). Nothing at all seems to get me video.

The card is identified by linux as a Radeon X1300/X1550 Series. The Xorg log doesn't show any errors. Anyone have any idea where I should start?

Beans

Re: Just upgraded, and no ATI video

You said you upgraded. I bet you were using the proprietary fglrx driver from AMD/ATI, right? Unfortunately, AMD has recently retired many of its graphics cards and will no longer be providing driver updates like in the past.

I just had the same problem with a mobility Radeon 9600 in my laptop. The good news is that the open source drivers should work pretty well for you. You'll need to remove any remnants of the proprietary driver and then install the open source driver.

Code:
    sudo /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh  # (if it exists)
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Beans

Yeah, that's all of the stuff in the link I posted. I was using fglrx, but I still get nothing but a blank screen after doing that unfortunately.

Beans

Sorry, I guess I missed the link in your first post. We'll just chalk that one up to it being a long day. If possible, it may help in identifying your issue if we can see a copy of your xorg.conf.

Beans

Maybe also try:

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    and then try

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Beans

Doing that just gives me a super generic xorg.conf as attached. I have also attached the xorg log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Yeah, that's pretty much what my functioning xorg.conf looks like, so I doubt there's any problem there. Didn't see anything obvious in the log either. If I come across anything else to try, I'll let you know. Hang in there. Someone is bound to be able to point you in the right direction.

Beans

Open up your xorg.conf and add the following line under the Device section:

Code:
    Driver   "radeon"
    Save the file and reboot.
    Fglrx does not support your card anymore (9.3 was the last one, but that version doesn't work on Jaunty), so you have to move to the open source drivers. The above change will load radeon which should provide 2D/3D acceleration for your card.
    Last edited by Melcar; July 1st, 2009 at 02:18 AM.
    Hardware:
    Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core @ 3.04GHz, Motherboard: LP DK 790FX-M2RS, Chipset: ATI RD790 + SB600, System Memory: 3960MB, Disk: 640GB WDC WD6401AALS-0, Graphics: HD4850 @ 750/1100, Screen Resolution: 1680x1050

Beans

I am anxious to see if this works for sjv. If it does, then I'd have the question of why he would need that line and my 9600 works fine with the open source drivers with 3D support enabled and without that line in xorg.conf. Unless it is somehow a difference in what is required for the two different model graphics cards.

Oh well, either way I'm intrigued and can't wait to see what the result is.

Beans

Nope, no dice specifying the radeon driver. I attached the new Xorg log, but after doing a diff between the two, the only difference is that the first one did an autodetect and load of the radeon driver, and some various memory locations being different which you would expect.

Something else which may or may not be of interest, is that I can't switch to a terminal. Normally ctrl+alt+f1-6 will get a terminal as I'm sure you're aware, with f7 being the xorg display. I can drop to watching the loading details fly by instead of the loading splash, but where I believe it starts gdm, it takes me to the black screen. While at the black screen it will intermittently flicker to tty1 for a second or two, and then go back to the black screen.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast