Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    643

    firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    hi i have just down loaded 3.5 from the firefox site how do i gewt it to run.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    6,144
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    This is what I did:
    Download the tar.bz2 file to my desktop. Then these commands:
    cd Desktop
    tar xjf firefox-3.5.tar.bz2
    sudo cp -r firefox /opt/firefox-3.5
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/firefox /opt/firefox-3.5/firefox
    This leaves the original firefox there, but links the new one into /usr/local/bin which is searched before /usr/bin and therefore takes precedence.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    For instructions on how to install Firefox 3.5 or upgrade the 3.0.11 version, check the Firefox Alternatives & Newer Versions section of the Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread.

    For a list of other threads talking about the same subject, visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1200781

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    643

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    this did not work any other iders

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Beans
    2,179
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    Quote Originally Posted by blake7 View Post
    this did not work any other iders
    Which didn't work?
    What happened when you tried them?

    If you're running Jaunty and tried lovinglinux's idea, did you look in the GNOME Applications menu for Shiretoko, not Firefox, under Internet?
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    45

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    This is what I did:
    Download the tar.bz2 file to my desktop. Then these commands:


    This leaves the original firefox there, but links the new one into /usr/local/bin which is searched before /usr/bin and therefore takes precedence.
    It is the same thing. it depends where you decompressed the folder and just point it to the place where it is located and now I have firefox 3.5 at three locations
    /desktop/firefox
    /user/home/firefox
    /user/lib/firefox

    no matter where the icon points to it. It will run that copy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    Quote Originally Posted by ak331 View Post
    It is the same thing. it depends where you decompressed the folder and just point it to the place where it is located and now I have firefox 3.5 at three locations
    /desktop/firefox
    /user/home/firefox
    /user/lib/firefox

    no matter where the icon points to it. It will run that copy.
    Have you read the my reply on the other thread?

    As I said, there is no /user/home folder or /user/lib/firefox, you are mixing things.

    The folders or files you are referring to are /home/ak331/firefox, /home/ak331/Desktop/firefox, /usr/lib/firefox and /opt/firefox-3.5. There is also /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.11 and possibly /usr/lib/firefox-3.5

    Please notice that I have replaced all user above with ak331 or usr to avoid confusion. You should replace ak331 with whatever username you use to login on Ubuntu, whenever it appears in the codes below.

    So, delete these folders and files:

    /home/ak331/firefox
    /home/ak331/Desktop/firefox

    Then run the command below to delete the file /usr/local/bin/firefox. This is a file path, not the same as the other firefox folders. This is because Linux doesn't need the extension most of the time, so when I write the path here it looks like a folder, but it is actually a file.

    Code:
    sudo rm -f /usr/local/bin/firefox
    How to run commands in a Terminal: Open "Applications >> Accessories >> Terminal", then type or paste the code (CTRL+SHIFT+V) and hit Enter. You might be prompted to enter your password. You cannot see it while you type, but it is there. Then just hit Enter again to run the command. Please do not run commands without knowing what they do. If you do not understand what a command does, ask for explanations.
    Then this command:

    Code:
    sudo rm -fr /opt/firefox-3.5
    Now run the following command:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.5
    Then change the path of the firefox launcher (I know you know how to do it) to this:

    Code:
    firefox %u
    Now click the Firefox launcher and check the version of Firefox. It should say Firefox 3.0.11. Basically we have reset all your changes.

    Now, download this file and save in your home directory /home/ak331/
    Don't put it inside any folder and don't extract it. Just save it there.

    Then run this commands:

    Code:
    cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup
    sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt
    rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2
    sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
    sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    Click the Firefox launcher and check the version of it again, it should say Firefox 3.5

    That's it.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; July 2nd, 2009 at 01:24 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    What a weird trip.....
    Beans
    4,676
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Cool Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    I thought that if you are running anything past Intrepid that you could just

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
    or am I wrong

    actually I run Hardy and I just added the ppa, did a

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then a

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
    linky
    If at first you don't succeed - just buy the company and tell them to make the one you want.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Beans
    45

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Have you read the my reply on the other thread?

    As I said, there is no /user/home folder or /user/lib/firefox, you are mixing things.

    The folders or files you are referring to are /home/ak331/firefox, /home/ak331/Desktop/firefox, /usr/lib/firefox and /opt/firefox-3.5. There is also /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.11 and possibly /usr/lib/firefox-3.5

    Please notice that I have replaced all user above with ak331 or usr to avoid confusion. You should replace ak331 with whatever username you use to login on Ubuntu, whenever it appears in the codes below.

    So, delete these folders and files:

    /home/ak331/firefox
    /home/ak331/Desktop/firefox

    Then run the command below to delete the file /usr/local/bin/firefox. This is a file path, not the same as the other firefox folders. This is because Linux doesn't need the extension most of the time, so when I write the path here it looks like a folder, but it is actually a file.

    Code:
    sudo rm -f /usr/local/bin/firefox


    Then this command:

    Code:
    sudo rm -fr /opt/firefox-3.5
    Now run the following command:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge firefox-3.5
    Then change the path of the firefox launcher (I know you know how to do it) to this:

    Code:
    firefox %u
    Now click the Firefox launcher and check the version of Firefox. It should say Firefox 3.0.11. Basically we have reset all your changes.

    Now, download this file and save in your home directory /home/ak331/
    Don't put it inside any folder and don't extract it. Just save it there.

    Then run this commands:

    Code:
    cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup
    sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt
    rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2
    sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins
    sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox
    sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
    Click the Firefox launcher and check the version of it again, it should say Firefox 3.5

    That's it.
    Thanks again. I guess mine was a round about way.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Beans
    12,497
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: firefox 3.5 how do i loaded it on to my system

    Quote Originally Posted by steveneddy View Post
    I thought that if you are running anything past Intrepid that you could just

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
    or am I wrong

    actually I run Hardy and I just added the ppa, did a

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    then a

    Code:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5
    linky
    Jaunty comes with Firefox 3.5 beta (Shiretoko) in the repositories, but you need to add the ubuntu-mozilla-daily PPA if you want to update it to the final version. Final version became available in that PPA only a couple of hours ago.

    Nevertheless, there are other methods, like using Ubuntuzilla or the one described on this thread. It seems the OP prefer this method.

    I have tried the PPA and Ubuntuzilla. Both work like a charm, but I ended compiling from source and gained 30% in performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •