Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Add Windows XP to Grub 2

Beans

Re: Add Windows XP to Grub 2

Quote Originally Posted by anystupidname1 View Post
    worked for me too, thanks!
    worked for me too

But i think grub2 is more dificult, why?
    is not the idea to be easy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

worked for me! Big thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miros84 View Post
    worked for me too

But i think grub2 is more difficult, why?
    is not the idea to be easy?
    No, it is not.

People on projects come and go. New ones, free with new ideas arrive, and being young and fresh, think that they can change the world with their new ideas. They know that they can, and they will; This is part of youthfulness: Boundless ideas in a lake of stupidity. Its a bit like the man who introduces speedhumps across Britain. These are everywhere and no one likes these. I read once that, now this man has grown wise, he regrets his zeal to push speedbumps out. It was a bad idea. (Especially for those with spinal injuries in backs of ambulances, or ambulancemen in a hurry to get someone to hospital)

Anyway, apparently, /etc/init.d and symbolically linked scripts in /etc/rc?.d, and along with inetd, were far too crap and useless! Thus these were replaced with thousands of new scripts, that did the same, yet required a bright mind to work out what went where. A real pain in the **** to debug it when it goes **** up. My advice, use FreeBSD. Much better.

I recommend Solaris, but its going down the same route. However, its still a lot easier to admin than Linux these days and ZFS is simply amazing.

Yes, Grub was easy to understand, and had no dependencies, as such, on the O/S. Grub2 does the same thing as Grub, but may to be difficult to use. If I want to edit the start-up, independently of the O/s, then I have to watch out, because another O/S may well overwrite it using different files. Bright young minds eh

GRUB Legacy:
    It is older and no longer developed, but works great and has proven its worth many times over. Editing the GRUB menu is a very simple thing and require little skill on the behalf of the user, save for making sure the right syntax is followed.

Anyway, to add WinXP to GRUB2, without using the update-grub, then edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg and add these lines at the end of the file:
    NB: Change the 9 value in hd0,9 to the disc you have Windows on. If /dev/sda1 then change to hd0,1 (Mine is on on /dev/sda9).
    NB. there are two instances of hd0,9 to change.
    menuentry "Windows " {
    set root=(hd0,9)
    chainloader (hd0,9)+1
    }
    Afterwards, Windows will appear on grub at boot time. If you run update-grub, the entry will disappear.

If you want to make this a permanent change then edit this file:
    /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    and add the same lines as above to the end of the file. Shown below in bold below:

#!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "Windows " {
    set root=(hd0,9)
    chainloader (hd0,9)+1
    }

Now run : update-grub
    Last edited by zong1; June 28th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jheaton5 View Post
    I suspect you just need to run update-grub2 as root.
    I've wondering for two months how to dual boot windows xp and ubuntu once we have installed windows and then installed ubuntu overwriting the mbr. You just solved my problem with such an ease! Thanks you soooooooooooooooooooo much!

HATS OFF!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by zong1 View Post

Anyway, to add WinXP to GRUB2, without using the update-grub, then edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg and add these lines at the end of the file:
    NB: Change the 9 value in hd0,9 to the disc you have Windows on. If /dev/sda1 then change to hd0,1 (Mine is on on /dev/sda9).
    NB. there are two instances of hd0,9 to change.
    menuentry "Windows " {
    set root=(hd0,9)
    chainloader (hd0,9)+1
    }
    Afterwards, Windows will appear on grub at boot time. If you run update-grub, the entry will disappear.

If you want to make this a permanent change then edit this file:
    /etc/grub.d/40_custom
    and add the same lines as above to the end of the file. Shown below in bold below:

#!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry "Windows " {
    set root=(hd0,9)
    chainloader (hd0,9)+1
    }

Now run : update-grub

I tried to add windows using the second method (permanent one) but terminal says the update-grub command does not exsit.
    "A wise man speaks because he has something to say; A foolish man speaks because he wants to say something."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    DUAL BOOT XP & Natty, Trying LFS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12