Thread: Error booting

Beans

Exclamation Error booting

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 on a Dell Latitude D410 that has an older 8GB SSD. Occasionally I've had problems where during boot it would make me run a manual fsck and push (y) a whole bunch of times. It's always worked fine after that. Yesterday it did that to me again, same as usual except that, now it won't boot into the gui. It gives me this:

Code:
    Boot from (hd0,1) ext3 010e334d-56e7-9b0f-e307cc1d4a9e
    Starting up ...
    Loading, please wait...
    19+0 records in
    19+0 records out
    kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/ecb96d83-4f2c-4880-af10-b7ad9dba02c3) = dev(8,1)
    kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/ecb96d83-4f2c-4880-af10-b7ad9dba02c3
    kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: Input/output error

Ubuntu 9.04 ubuntu-d410 tty1

ubuntu-d410 login: _
    Any help would be appreciated. I have files on the hard drive I need, so at the very least I need advice on getting them off so that I can reinstall. If you need more info just ask and let me know how to get it, I'll be glad to. I'm not exactly computer illiterate, but I'm no wiz and I'm fairly new to Ubuntu so bear with me a little.

Again, thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Inevitable Glitch; June 30th, 2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: sp

Beans

Re: Error booting

Still no progress..., I need some help troubleshooting here as I have no idea where to begin, I'm not familiar with Ubuntu and it's commands enough to do this on my own. I am to the point of just trying to rescue my files and reformat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Re: Error booting

Well, thanks for all the help guys.

After a couple days of no responses I got on IRC and somebody calling himself "linuxguy2009" proved quite helpful (Many thanks man) and after messing around with it for a while I decided to just do a fresh install and go from there.