Thread: possibility to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

possibility to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu?

yes indeed, i want to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu. why? i honestly just want to explore what each one has ( kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, and fedora 10 ) . i already realized that wubi will not allow this. and i cannot find a .iso for each one of these, only ubuntu ( i honestly havent explored for fedora ).
    but thank you for the help guys <edit> and girls
    Last edited by cirabisi2009; June 29th, 2009 at 04:02 AM.
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF WINDOWS, MAC OS X, AND LINUX
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Eistein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: possibility to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by cirabisi2009 View Post
    yes indeed, i want to dual boot ubuntu and xubuntu. why? i honestly just want to explore what each one has ( kubuntu, xubuntu, edubuntu, and fedora 10 ) . i already realized that wubi will not allow this. and i cannot find a .iso for each one of these, only ubuntu ( i honestly havent explored for fedora ).
    but thank you for the help guys <edit> and girls

Of course you can download .ISOs for each of the flavors you mentioned. If you're already using Ubuntu, you can download/install Xubuntu with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    If you want to switch desktops, log out from that session and select the other from the log in screen.
    Last edited by zeroseven0183; July 7th, 2009 at 01:18 AM.
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

indeed, but i did forget to mention i am also booting windows xp? so maybe like a multi-bootable ? and im guessing that command line, i can just substitute the xubuntu with another flavor name to boot from as well?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." Albert Eistein.

Beans

It doesn't matter, it's not really dual-booting in the same sense as running two operating systems. You still have the same Linux kernel, it's basically just installing the xfce desktop in addition to the gnome desktop.

I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu running right now. When you install the other one, just logout and on the bottom left of the login screen you can click "Options" and then choose another session. You'll see a selection for GNOME or XFCE desktop, just choose your poison and it will ask you if you want to make it the default for everytime you login.

I'd take the route of installing Ubuntu first and then installing Xubuntu from the terminal in Ubuntu. Just go by the instructions zeroseven posted.
    Last edited by brewkakke; June 29th, 2009 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Youcan just install different Desktop Environments and try them out. If you already have ubuntu{which is GNOME} then you can download xubuntu-desktop and also kde4 from synaptic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Code:
    sudo apt-get install easypeasy-desktop
    will that work? and

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and will that work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It really does not make much sense to do this unless you plan on playing with different versions of Ubuntu. Follow the steps given from the posts before me and just log out and press "Change session" to change your desktop/window manager. That way your not stuck complicating yourself with dual booting and having to restart just to change something as simple as a desktop manager.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DCGStudios View Post
    plan on playing with different versions of Ubuntu.
    thats what im gonna do, i just wasnt sure if those would properly install those flavors or would it just put a bunch of unnecessary stuff on my computer