Thread: Checking integrity of executables on system using dpkg

Beans

Checking integrity of executables on system using dpkg

Recently my uni server has been hacked, among other things the intruders replaced the ssh client with one that sends any passwords to a site in Hungary. In the meantime I probably logged into my home server from there, so I have to assume they have harvested my password, logged into my home server and given it the same treatment. Of course I can zero in on the ssh client itself, perhaps remove and reinstall openssh using dpkg, but more generally, I would like to use dpkg to verify all installed files against the distribution release after having used digital signatures to verify the package files. Is this possible? Also, can dpkg tell me if other stuff has turned up in directories such as /sbin, i.e. list any files that aren't under package management?
    Many thanks,
    cheers, Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Checking integrity of executables on system using dpkg

You should back up important files and do a complete re-install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by x3roconf View Post
    you should back up important files and do a complete re-install.
    +1
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by nick_d View Post
    can dpkg tell me if other stuff has turned up in directories such as /sbin
    There are packages that keep an eye on that such as "tripwire" ... But you have to install such tools _BEFORE_ you get hacked, afterwards it's too late as you can't be really sure what else the hackers did manipulate or not.

So I second what you were already told: Reinstall everything. It's the only safe way to be sure that everything the hackers installed is gone.

And when you're done: tripwire. So you're better armed next time this happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by scorp123 View Post
    There are packages that keep an eye on that such as "tripwire" ... But you have to install such tools _BEFORE_ you get hacked, afterwards it's too late as you can't be really sure what else the hackers did manipulate or not.

So I second what you were already told: Reinstall everything. It's the only safe way to be sure that everything the hackers installed is gone.

And when you're done: tripwire. So you're better armed next time this happens.

I agree with the above. However, Tripwire is not free. You can use AIDE instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by rookcifer View Post
    Tripwire is not free.
    Depends on which version you refer to.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tripwire/

"Open Source Tripwire® software is a security and data integrity tool useful for monitoring and alerting on specific file change(s) on a range of systems. The project is based on code originally contributed by Tripwire, Inc. in 2000."