Thread: Login error ($HOME/.dmrc)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Login error ($HOME/.dmrc)

Hi All,

First of all, I'm not sure if this post is in the right place (security diss.), so please forgive if I mistaken.

Before logging-in to my account I get the following error message and all my configurations (like screen resolution) disappeared!

Code:
    User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and laguage from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by another user.
    I tried to fix this problem by deleting .dmrc file, but it didn't fix the problem!

Then I tried to change $HOME directory permissions (as shown in the attached picture), but it didn't fix the problem too!

Could you please help me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Login error ($HOME/.dmrc)

I found this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=371052 when I had the same problem. I got this from accidentely copying my home folder as root. I don't think this is a security problem but am a newb in high school and I just happened to have the same problem. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

[solved] Login error ($HOME/.dmrc)

Thanks, it's working well now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [solved] Login error ($HOME/.dmrc)

You know, just to give some headway on this as well. Sharing your home folder will cause that same error upon bootup. I learned that with my desktop system I used with my HDtv. Sharing the home folder is a security risk if you have the possibility of others playing with your configuration files in the home folder!

Just figured I'd put that out for you just incase you ever decide to share that folder and don't realize why the error comes up.
    steve@Karmic:~$ sudo apt-get install newbrain ; [sudo] password for steve:
    Reading package lists... Done ; Building dependency tree ; Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package newbrain