Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Using Ubuntu as a DLNA Media Server for Samsung TV

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 Samsung Mediatomb

This is a guide on how to get the "Media Play-function" working on a Samsung DLNA enabled TV. (tested on a UE46C6005RW)

First you need to download and install the mediatomb package from the Ubuntu software center or just use the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mediatomb
    Then we need to edit the mediatomb config file, use the terminal and inset this code:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    You need to delete the commend section arrows <!-- and --> thats around the <custom-http-headers> section, to reactivate <custom-http-headers>.

Inside the <custom-http-headers> you need to add the following lines:

Code:
    <add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
    <add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=017000 00000000000000000000000000"/>
    Then you need to change

Code:
    <protocolInfo extend="no"/>
    to
    Code:
    <protocolInfo extend="yes"/>
    (change no to yes - this will enable ps3 support)

And then you need to add the following under <extension-mimetype> to add avi/mkv-support;

Code:
    <map from="avi" to="video/mpeg"/>
    and then change

Code:
    <map from="mkv" to="video/x-matroska"/>
    to
    Code:
    <map from="mkv" to="video/mpeg"/>
    Save and reboot the machine.

To open the program in your favorite browser you need to

http://localhost:49152/

Done

KNOWN PROBLEMS

The program SHOULD start with the computer BUT it is a know problem that mediatomb tries to connect to the internet before the network-manager is started, so it just closes again.

To check if your mediatomb server starts on boot, install this program;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install upnp-inspector
    you can find it under programs in the menu or run it in the terminal with;

Code:
    upnp-inspector
    If you don't have a server running then you can start it with this command;

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mediatomb start
    If you by mistake start two servers, then you can close them with; sudo killall mediatomb

Hope it helped, enjoy.
    Last edited by Gonzo_Dark; May 24th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] Using Ubuntu as a DLNA Media Server for Samsung TV

thanks folks, this made it working for my lnc630. I still cannot get ff/rewind to work... neither the mkv are getting listed in the list. any idea this can be played???
    Powered by Ubuntu, Driven by Linux

Beans

Got Everything Working with UN55C8000, except Subtitles and Chapters...... Anyone get subs working on their Samsung TV?? Chapters are nice, but not my top priority, but I'm in dire need of Subtitle/SRT support, anyone get this working yet or have any ideas??

Thanks in Advance

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dillzz View Post
    Sobrien,

Thank you for this information. I can finally get Music + Pictures streamed to my TV. I am however having problems with the video, i have tried endless encodings and no supported format . It however works fine on the PS3 and their dlna implementation...Any ideas?
    Try Serviio I have it serving mkv, m4v, dvd(VIDEO_TS), jpg, mp3 and aac to my Samsung series 5000 led. It works really well and just requires java6. You do not even have to install it. I just keep the java binary in a /home/eric/programs folder that I created and put startup launchers on my desktop. It can be tweaked to work with the console and can be set to several different dlna profiles like samsungs and ps3s.

Another non free software that seems to be coming along is TVMOBili which has a localhost:30888 browser interface. A .deb is available. It will be for a paid internet streaming services that will allow you to talk to other dlna devices remotely over the internet through their routing service. You can use their client for free for local network purposes though.

Because most dlna devices like Samsung tvs run some form of busybox Linux there is much that is starting to happen in the way of upnp dlna releases that have native linux clients. Unfortunately Samsung itself only releases a Windows only server...which doesn't work under wine and doesn't even work very well under Windows! Go figure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Serviio is just GREAT! if finally got rid of that flaky mediatomb!

and now...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by insane2600tt View Post
    Serviio is just GREAT! if finally got rid of that flaky mediatomb!

and now...

I just had the same exact experience, after trying and trying to get mediatomb to work. then to have Serviio to work so simply, this is how it should be when people start to brag about their new amazing software items. This is absolutely great. If you have tried others, please save yourself the headache and try Serviio.

Beans

Has anyone gotten Serviio to run at boot up and be seen by Sony Blu Ray S570 without having to click on any other keyboard items?

Edit:

I simply added it to the start applications menu. Works fine without actually doing anything that starting the computer. Duh!
    Last edited by mchristian; November 17th, 2010 at 03:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Samsung Mediatomb

Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo_Dark View Post
    This is a guide on how to get the "Media Play-function" working on a Samsung DLNA enabled TV. (tested on a UE46C6005RW)

First you need to download and install the mediatomb package from the Ubuntu software center or just use the terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install mediatomb
    Then we need to edit the mediatomb config file, use the terminal and inset this code:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/mediatomb/config.xml
    You need to delete the commend section arrows <!-- and --> thats around the <custom-http-headers> section, to reactivate <custom-http-headers>.

Inside the <custom-http-headers> you need to add the following lines:

Code:
    <add header="transferMode.dlna.org: Streaming"/>
    <add header="contentFeatures.dlna.org: DLNA.ORG_OP=01;DLNA.ORG_CI=0;DLNA.ORG_FLAGS=017000 00000000000000000000000000"/>
    Then you need to change

Code:
    <protocolInfo extend="no"/>
    to
    Code:
    <protocolInfo extend="yes"/>
    (change no to yes - this will enable ps3 support)

And then you need to add the following under <extension-mimetype> to add avi/mkv-support;

Code:
    <map from="avi" to="video/mpeg"/>
    and then change

Code:
    <map from="mkv" to="video/x-matroska"/>
    to
    Code:
    <map from="mkv" to="video/mpeg"/>
    Save and reboot the machine.

To open the program in your favorite browser you need to

http://localhost:49152/

Done

KNOWN PROBLEMS

The program SHOULD start with the computer BUT it is a know problem that mediatomb tries to connect to the internet before the network-manager is started, so it just closes again.

To check if your mediatomb server starts on boot, install this program;

Code:
    sudo apt-get install upnp-inspector
    you can find it under programs in the menu or run it in the terminal with;

Code:
    upnp-inspector
    If you don't have a server running then you can start it with this command;

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/mediatomb start
    If you by mistake start two servers, then you can close them with; sudo killall mediatomb

Hope it helped, enjoy.

It works great for me (LE32B651)! The only difference is that I've used:
    <map from="avi" to="video/x-avi"/>
    I don't know if it matters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Sharft 6 View Post
    How do I organise my db so that I don't have to navigate down lots of levels in the file system?

This is what it currently takes to watch something
    PC Directory -> media -> data -> me -> videos -> documentary -> choose a video

I want it to be something like this
    videos -> documentary -> choose a video
    make a system link on the root of your filesystem to videos, and include that link on MediaTomb database.

Or use MiniDLNA.
    https://launchpad.net/~stedy6/+archive/stedy-minidna

Also you can find better luck with Rygel (included on Ubuntu 10.10)
    P8B75-M LE, Intel i7 3770, ATI Radeon 6850 2GB, 16GB DDR3, TL-WN821N, 2x WD 640GB Black, 1 Vertex 3 60 GB (OS Boot Drive).

Beans

Hello, first post from a total noob here so bare with me please.

I've setup an old laptop with a couple of external drives to store my photos and videos and been trying to set it up as a MediaTomb DLNA server. So far I've been able to get my Samsung UN55B8500 TV to see the MediaTomb server and can see pictures after following the edits to the config.xml file outlined in this thread.

However, I'm having a couple of problems with videos.

1) The first is that I can not get audio for the AVI files. I get a message telling me "Not Supported Audio Data."

2) The second problem is that I can not play quicktime .MOV videos. I keep getting a message saying "Not Supported File Format."

I haven't tried to solve the first problem yet but I've been spending a lot of time searching and trying to find a fix for the problem with the quicktime video. I have updated the config.xml as follows based on some of the information I've found through googling:

This is what I've done so far...

- added this <map from="mov" to="video/quicktime"/> to the <mappings> section
    - added this <treat mimetype="video/quicktime" as="mov"/> to the <mimetype-contenttype> section
    - added this <transcode mimetype="video/quicktime" using="transvideo"/> to the <mimetype-profile-mappings> section
    - added this to the <profiles> section:
    <profiles>
    <profile name="transvideo" enabled="yes" type="external">
    <mimetype>video/mpeg</mimetype>
    <accept-url>no</accept-url>
    <first-resource>yes</first-resource>
    <agent command="ffmpegvideo" arguments="%in %out 8300k 256k"/>
    <buffer size="57600000" chunk-size="128000" fill-size="10000000"/>
    </profile>
    However after doing the above changes and trying to restart the server it does not start. I get a "fail!" message.

Does anyone have a any suggestions or links that can help me resolve this? Is there any additional software needed on the Ubuntu machine besides the packages that get installed when MediTub is installed? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast