Thread: Figuring out wireless passwords

Beans

Figuring out wireless passwords

Okay, when Grandma & Grandpa finally got hooked up the Internet, one of their *other* tech-skilled relates set up the Internet connection for them, so, among other things, I don't know what the WEP passcode is. (I'm able to connect by plugging an Ethernet cord into the router, which is in fact what I'm doing now.)

Thng is, how might you "figure out" the passcode "the hard way"? Would be useful to know.

Beans

Re: Figuring out wireless passwords

The Aircrack-ng package has a couple programs you can use. I think it's just `sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng` to install.

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...dabe77e8cebdde

Beans

Wouldn't accessing the router CP be easier? Chances are your relative wrote any important information for them anyway.

Beans

Yeah I think just pushing the reset button and holding it in for a few seconds would be the easiest since you can just reset it to the default password. He said he wanted the "hard way" though, which makes me think he might like a challenge.

Beans

What I meant by "hard way" was cracking it, rather than than the "easy way" of just chasing down & asking the relative who set it up.

If it can be handled by the router reset button, I'll try that.

I'm about to go outside for a bit; I'll try the router trick sometime after I get back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    Wouldn't accessing the router CP be easier? Chances are your relative wrote any important information for them anyway.
    I tried the router control panel (http://192.168.0.1); that's password-protected also.
    Now time for the reset button.