Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Programming Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Basic Programming Question!

Hi guys, I was looking at some IDEs today and I found out about Gambas2...It's a very nice and easy to use program, but I was wondering, and I hope someone can help me out.

How do I make widgets (buttons, textboxes, labels...) expand along with the rest of the window/form?

For example: If I resize a window I want all my widgets to expand and not just sit in the middle or left side of the window, I want them to stay proportionate with the whole window. So how do I achieve this?...

I'm a programming-noob, but I really want to learn.

I know that this may be the wrong place to ask, but I had no other choice. Sorry...

Anyway, I hope someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Basic Programming Question!

Moved to Programming Talk.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In terms of other choices, there's a programming forum in ubuntu forums matey, you're more likely to get useful help in there. It's supposedly similar to Visual Basic, so if you can't find assistance specific to gambas it would be worth having a look at VB so you can get to grips with things.

www.gambasdoc.org/help/doc/start?en&view seems to have plenty of documentation but I cannot currently access the site, it may be down.
    Last edited by RobOrr; June 25th, 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: misspelled URL
    I can resist anything except temptation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well I used to write up very basic VB programs back in *******, but in VB the widgets had a "lock" property that made them stick to a certain part of a windows or panel and expand along with that windows or panel. Here in Gambas I haven't found such a property and I don't know if this can be made with certain code or something.

Thanks for the reply!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

Have a look at the TextEdit example under examples where TextEdit1.expand=true

rgds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi, I've set the "Expand" property (on the properties window) for each label, button and textbox to True, but still they won't expand, now they just get stuck on middle-left side of the form....and when I expand the window there's just a big empty space on the right side.

I still haven't found the piece of code you mentioned.
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi

Have you set FMain(or whatever).arrangement to something other than 'none'. That sets how the container arranges its children.

File, Open example, Controls, TextEdit. It might say it is read-only so just file, save as.. to your directory first.

rgds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi again,

I made some improvement...I tried the "alignment" property you suggested and set it to "Fill" and I can expand whatever is directly on top the form. In my case I made a practice GUI without any code or functionality and I used a Frame with a button inside of it and a button on the form (outside the frame) and the button literally fills the whole form, so I deleted it and I can see now that the frame is autoexpanding along with the window/form, but everything inside the frame stays the same... What can I do now?
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

I used Gambas for a while when i first started using Linux about a year ago because i had always used VB6 for Windows programming. Gambas is nice but i found that a lot of the components were very simplified. For instance, i needed to use the Curl component but found that it was lacking most of the features that i needed.

I'm now using Python for all my programming. I found the Gambas Forum useful and the Gambas developer Benoît Minisini can often be found there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmmm...I give up...I've spent two days fiddling with Gambas and I still don't know how to do this. Sadly I'm going back to VB (although I believe it's far more complete) but I have a very big question...

Is there any way to program in VB and convert it to Linux?...

I read something about a vb2gb script that converts VB projects to Gambas and then you can supposedly convert your application to run on Linux...but I wonder...is it really true? or, Do I have to learn C or Python to program for Linux OSes?

Thanks for all the help! I'm eagerly waiting for your replies!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast