Thread: Uninstalling GRUB

Beans

Uninstalling GRUB

I am a total newb to ubuntu, but I wanted to try it out, so I got the long term support version of ubuntu 8.04, and installed it to a second hard drive, with XP on my first. After a few months, I decided that I didn't exactly need 500 gb for my linux installation. So, i downloaded virtualbox to XP and installed ubuntu in a virtual machine. Then, I reformatted my second hard drive, nuking my original linux install. Ok fine, but I forgot that GRUB wouldn't have uninstalled, and sure enough, the next time I turned my machine on, it displayed Error 17 and would not boot to any OS. So I reinstalled ubuntu on my second hard drive, hoping the bootloader would recognize it, but unfortunately, it doesn't. It now shows Error 22, and won't boot to either XP or ubuntu, leaving my computer a $1000 paperweight. Does anyone know how to uninstall GRUB and ubuntu, so I can have my computer back from the clutches of the GRUB errors?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Uninstalling GRUB

Insert and boot from you WinXP disc and get to the recovery console. When this is up simply type fixmbr which will remove grub and replace it with Windows' own boot loader. To remove Ubuntu simply format the hard drive/partition you installed it on to.
    Dell Vostro 1500: Intel T7250, 4GB RAM (800MHz), nVidia 8600M GT, Intel 3945AGB Pro Wireless.
    Ubuntu 10.04 + Windows 7 dual boot (damn games!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marshall.robert View Post
    Insert and boot from you WinXP disc and get to the recovery console.
    Update: I ran the XP cd, but found that since I bought it OEM, it only let me install XP, rather than both install and/or repair XP. I also ran Parted Magic, and found that linux didn't recognize the file needed to boot from the XP disk. Now what? I'm kinda stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If it is an OEM install, is there a recovery partition accessible from the biod post screen?

A lot of the time the recovery console is hidden there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

super grub disc will also run fixmbr if I'm not mistaken.

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There is no 'removing' grub or any boot loader for that matter. The only way to remove something on your mbr is to write over it with something else.