Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    Quick question: Is there a way to edit the names of entries that have been successfully listed by Grub2? I only ask because for some reason on my Grub2 (11.10) Kubuntu is listed as Ubuntu, and I'd like to change it to the proper name. Many thanks.
    The simplest way to do this is to edit /etc/default/grub and change the GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR line to:
    Code:
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="Kubuntu"
    This remains permanent across all calls to update-grub.

The lsb info for all variants of Ubuntu are the same, that's why is shows up as Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu. I covered this in my tutorial. Have a look at my sig.
    The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2 is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    The simplest way to do this is to edit /etc/default/grub and change the GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR line to:
    Code:
    This remains permanent across all calls to update-grub.

The lsb info for all variants of Ubuntu are the same, that's why is shows up as Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu. I covered this in my tutorial. Have a look at my sig.
    Or GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    This way it is not hard coded.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Or GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    This way it is not hard coded.
    Yrs, that's the standard way. But lsb_release -i would return 'Ubuntu' for Ubuntu and all of it's variants.

The original request was to have the menu entries indicate 'Kubuntu' and not 'Ubuntu'. Short of actually modifying the lsb info in Kubuntu, setting:
    Code:
    is the best bet to have Kubuntu show on the menu entries and preserve across calls to update-grub.
    The Definitive Guide to Theming GRUB2 is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    Yrs, that's the standard way. But lsb_release -i would return 'Ubuntu' for Ubuntu and all of it's variants.

The original request was to have the menu entries indicate 'Kubuntu' and not 'Ubuntu'. Short of actually modifying the lsb info in Kubuntu, setting:
    Code:
    is the best bet to have Kubuntu show on the menu entries and preserve across calls to update-grub.
    I understand. The tutorial in my sig. will let you put "KuBuNtU", "XYZ" or anything you want to have it display for each menu entry.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Never happened before?!

Hi, I have very weird issue. I'm trying to install many systems to create a Multi-Booting System for my testing purposes. Lubuntu 11.10 is my main OS and the other systems are other buntus.

After "update-grub" and rebooting, after my PC says "booting from CD" and wait little bit which is the step before GRUB Menu to show up, the screen goes OFF and says "Input Not Supported". It's Acer 17".

I have installed GRUB Customizer and made sure the menu will appear, etc but that did not change anything. Even when I press and hold "Shift", the screen goes OFF with "Input Not Supported" message again. I have also re-installed GRUB to the MBR .. yet, that did not fix anything.

I still can make a selection though. I still can choose an entry so I know GRUB is there and working except it's not visible for some weird reason.

Any idea how to get rid of this issue?

Thanks!

Edit:

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="15"

and

"os-prober"is installed by default.
    Last edited by amjjawad; February 3rd, 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Never happened before?!

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi, I have very weird issue. I'm trying to install many systems to create a Multi-Booting System for my testing purposes. Lubuntu 11.10 is my main OS and the other systems are other buntus.

After "update-grub" and rebooting, after my PC says "booting from CD" and wait little bit which is the step before GRUB Menu to show up, the screen goes OFF and says "Input Not Supported". It's Acer 17".

I have installed GRUB Customizer and made sure the menu will appear, etc but that did not change anything. Even when I press and hold "Shift", the screen goes OFF with "Input Not Supported" message again. I have also re-installed GRUB to the MBR .. yet, that did not fix anything.

I still can make a selection though. I still can choose an entry so I know GRUB is there and working except it's not visible for some weird reason.

Any idea how to get rid of this issue?

Thanks!

Edit:

#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    GRUB_TIMEOUT="15"

and

"os-prober"is installed by default.
    Have you checked out the tutorial in my signature? It may help. Doesn't matter if you are dual booting
    windows or other Ubuntu versions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Have you checked out the tutorial in my signature?
    Your tutorial on Java is missing removal of Java alternative in part callled “Removal“...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

amjjawad,

The first thing to check is that the Grub you are updating is the Grub that is controlling your system. Often if multiple systems are installed if things aren't working correctly it's because changes are being made to the Grub that isn't 'in control' of the system.

At boot, check the top item in the Grub menu. Is that the OS/kernel that you normally boot to? If you have multiple installations running the same kernel, you might want to investigate further and press 'e' to edit the default selection and confirm the partition that is booting.

If your normal OS is not currently in control, or to make it the controlling Grub, boot into that OS and run the following, with X being the boot drive (sda, sdb, etc.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
    If this is not the issue, the next thing I'd try as a temporary troubleshooting action, would be to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This is around line 60 in Grub 1.99

Find the "set timeout=15" and change it to -1. Save the file, do NOT run 'update-grub', and reboot to see if the menu appears. The '-1' value should force Grub to display the menu until you make a selection.

If the menu now appears, we can start troubleshooting why it isn't displaying normally. Posting the contents of the boot info script (available from the Boot Repair app or from http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net may help find the problem.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Your tutorial on Java is missing removal of Java alternative in part callled “Removal“...
    Actually that is not a tutorial, just 2 links to websites. I believe the Java alternative is removed when you delete the old java folder.

Then this command sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/64/jre1.6.0_30/bin/java" 1 replaces it.

Or if you mean the IcedTea browser plug-in, it tells you at the very top to query Ubuntu Software Center for icedtea and remove it there.
    I use the right side for 64 bit, so I don't know about the 32 bit version.

But, I was referring to the How to in blue at the bottom of my signature.

zika, you should comment about the java issue here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1895858
    Last edited by Cavsfan; February 4th, 2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added last line

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    amjjawad,

The first thing to check is that the Grub you are updating is the Grub that is controlling your system. Often if multiple systems are installed if things aren't working correctly it's because changes are being made to the Grub that isn't 'in control' of the system.

At boot, check the top item in the Grub menu. Is that the OS/kernel that you normally boot to? If you have multiple installations running the same kernel, you might want to investigate further and press 'e' to edit the default selection and confirm the partition that is booting.

If your normal OS is not currently in control, or to make it the controlling Grub, boot into that OS and run the following, with X being the boot drive (sda, sdb, etc.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
    If this is not the issue, the next thing I'd try as a temporary troubleshooting action, would be to edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg. This is around line 60 in Grub 1.99

Find the "set timeout=15" and change it to -1. Save the file, do NOT run 'update-grub', and reboot to see if the menu appears. The '-1' value should force Grub to display the menu until you make a selection.

If the menu now appears, we can start troubleshooting why it isn't displaying normally. Posting the contents of the boot info script (available from the Boot Repair app or from http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net may help find the problem.
    Hi,

Lubuntu 11.10 is the main OS which is supposed to control the whole thing. I know that because:
    1- It's the first choice on the menu even though I can see the menu but when I press Enter blindly, it boots to Lubuntu 11.10
    2- I'm very careful when it comes to Multi-Booting Systems.

I can't see the menu at all even when I press and hold "Shift" key.

I'm using GRUB Customizer by the way and I installed GRUB to the MBR of sda but that did not change anything.

I guess I need to use the other program (forgot the name) to re-install GRUB and if that didn't help then I need to post the output of the booting script.

Thank you

Page 83 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast