Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Grub 2 Basics

I've just returned from 2+ weeks of vacation, without any electronics. I'm still trying to catch up.

I'd agree with Cavsfan's approach and try to simplify things. You can do this in several ways. Since the update time is pretty long, I'd most likely create a custom menu as suggested by Cavsfan and then turn off 30_os-prober.

To just reduce the kernels you currently have:

In general, you don't need more than 2 kernels in any release, and with your experience, you could remove the older one after a week or so once you know the current kernel works. You can add a kernel back via chroot if necessary and if a release does break, it's not like you are going to be without an OS!

Before you leave any OS run it's "update-grub" so it's grub.cfg file is updated (and hopefully reduced).

At the top of your list, your current OS has both 3.2 and 3.0 kernels. I doubt you need either of the 3.0 ones in that release any longer.

You can also disable the recovery mode on all your releases. To get into the recovery mode from any Grub menu, press E, remove "quiet splash" and whatever follows and replace it with "single" on the 'linux' line. Then F10 or CTRL-X to boot into the recovery mode.

For the following:
    I haven't thought it through completely, but I think it's from your sda11 installation that you are getting all the 11,10 entries. If you aren't successful I'll come back and more thoroughly inspect your output when I have a bit more time.

Within grub.cfg it is picking up:
    Found Linux Mint 12 Lisa (12) on /dev/sda10
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda11
    Found Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (12.04) on /dev/sda12
    Found Ubuntu precise (development branch) (12.04) on /dev/sda13
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda16
    Found Ubuntu 11.04 (11.04) on /dev/sda5
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda6
    Found Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS (10.04) on /dev/sda7
    Found Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) on /dev/sda8
    Found Linux Mint 11 LXDE (11) on /dev/sda9
    These are all erroneous entries - probably text being imported. It could come from a bad custom menu that contains that text. Look in your sda11 installation and see if you can find them and remove them. As a quick/dirty fix, open the sda11 grub.cfg file. If these entries are within, manually remove all those entries and don't run sda11's update-grub until you find the culprit.
    Last edited by drs305; May 7th, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I'm still working on it. I see several duplicates but, not sure what to do. I'll work on it a bit more and see if I can help.
    This is very nice of you and I appreciate that you do

You are very welcome! This is challenging and I like a challenge. Not sure If I am up to it but I know drs305 is.
    I am hoping I can save him some time and provide some worth while info on your system.
    We have something in common, two actually, that what I expected from the first time you replied my post and I was right about it
    I too love GRUB Problems and I too love challenges
    However, I can't beat drs305 and oldfred yet

Everything counts. Enough you are trying to help IMHO

Actually I got most of my info from ranch hand about writing the How To. I know drs305 as he has helped me many times and I have tried to help
    out when I notice he may be out of town. That is if it is something small that I can understand.
    I have seen oldfred on here a lot helping with grub and I know he knows a lot about dual booting Ubuntu and windows too.
    This is a very good forum!
    Me, drs305, oldfred and YesWeCan, once we had a very very complicated case and we all were working on it. That thread was a battle.
    I know all those guys, they are the best, no question about it.

Indeed, this is the best forum and that is exactly why I'm still here despite some negative stuff I just love it.

I have learned almost everything about Linux from here.

Oh yes, yet another something in common between me and you

Time to log off now!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not sure I can add a whole lot, but where is the proxy versions coming from? I do not have those in my scripts, so are they copies for some reason?

Also many of the 11.10 entries are just the type Cavsfan & I use as the Ranch Hand partition boot stanza, not a typical os-prober boot stanza that finds the specific kernel. It is almost like 11.10 has some manual entries and the proxy version is copying the entire grub.cfg from 11.10?

I also have a lot of entries, so one of the first things I do with a new version is turn off os-prober, copy in my 40_custom and maybe edit it to pick up my last install (& maybe delete showing one old one) as I just keep adding / partitions. My 40_custom is just the partition boot stanzas and it now even it getting too large.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ranch hand told me to edit 40_custom but, then save it as 06_custom.
    That way 40_custom is preserved and the custom entries will always be the first thing
    displayed even if or when you have the other grub files still executable.

That's my 2 cents!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Very helpful info, thank you for posting.
    Marc

AMD Athlon X2 64bit 2.3GHZ/ 4GB DDR2 6400/ 250GB HD/ NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 896MB/ Corsair 850 Watt PS/ 20" Dell WS LCD Monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

NOT a direct fix but it's ok now :)

I think I can tell what was going on but not sure if I will explain that correctly.
    Before Upgrading Lubuntu 11.10 32bit to 12.04, everything was OK. After each installation to any OS, I run GRUB Customizer (of course after updating GRUB) and rename the entry for the new OS.
    As you know, sometimes, the upgrade from release to a newer release will affect some applications. I have checked the repositories and GRUB Customizer PPA was disabled.

1- Why there was many entries for Ubuntu 11.10?
    that is a mini Ubuntu installation that had some errors and connection loss and after I was done from that installation, updating GRUB created many entries even before the upgrade.

>> I have formatted sda11 - I don't need that right now. I may re-install ubuntu mini later if I need to do some tests, etc.

Code:
    Ubuntu 11.10 (11.10) (on /dev/sda11)
    Are gone.

2- Why there was a duplicate?
    Looks like after the upgrade (and it seems I chose the wrong option during the upgrade when it asked me about GRUB), updating grub created another entries for each installation + the old entries which I have renamed myself using GRUB Customizer was there too.

I have noticed when it says:
    Code:
    Ubuntu, with Linux 3.0.0-17-generic (on /dev/sda16)
    That is the default entry before renaming it by GRUB Customizer to:
    Code:
    Lubuntu 11.10 64bit, with Linux 3.0.0-17-generic (on /dev/sda16)
    Both exist and that's made the duplicate.

And same goes to the other entries for the other systems.
    Still can't tell what 'exactly' happened but at least it's a bit clear now.

>> Now, everything is back to normal without any duplication after I installed Lubuntu 12.04 64bit on /dev/sda15 and I chose to install GRUB to the MBR so now, the OS on sda1 is no longer my main OS.

3- The problem I had before which we discussed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...195275&page=84

is back again but I followed the same step and fixed it.

Thank you all for your time

Beans

Smile Re: Grub 2 Basics

Good article. Anyways some of the problems with GRUB unable to load up properly the Linux are caused of ACPI being enabled. Its generally a good idea to disable ACPI in kernel boot time from GRUB on servers. Check this for more info - http://www.pc-freak.net/blog/disable...-fan-lifespan/

Best

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hipodilski,

Welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

Thanks for the link. I don't run servers so I can't attest to the claim, but G2 does make it pretty easy to add kernel options. Even more so for testing, since you can press 'e' and edit the menuentry to try it on a one-time basis to see if it helps (or hurts).
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Drs305, I just wanted to ask you a question. I freed up a 60GB chunk of my HD awhile back.
    I noticed that Linux Mint 13 was released today so I downloaded the ISO.

You know what my setup is, Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. If I install Mint into that 60GB, is there anything I should know before hand?

I've never tri-booted before and just thought I better ask you. I would think one thing is to make /etc/grub.d/10_linux
    and /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober both executable before hand.

Currently I have just 3 lines:

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-desktop:~$ grep menuentry /boot/grub/grub.cfg | cut -b 1-11 --complement | cut -d "'" -f1 | cut -d "\"" -f 1 | nl --starting-line-number=0
         0    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
         1    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (Recovery Mode)
         2    Windows 7
    cavsfan@cavsfan-desktop:~$
    Is there anything else I should do or expect?
    Thanks

Also, could I do this with a USB drive? I have a 64GB drive and my PC is bootable via usb.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: added bottom line

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    You know what my setup is, Ubuntu 10.04 and Windows 7. If I install Mint into that 60GB, is there anything I should know before hand?
    I'm sure you are familiar with the perils of installing Ubuntu, but I still recommend using the manual partitioning scheme to make sure your other OS's don't get overwritten.

But as far as Grub goes, the only main issue is which Grub controls your boot. If you accept the default installation settings, your new mint will control the boot until you change it back. That's easy - just boot to your original OS and run "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX".

I assume you will stick to your maintenance-free grub menu, so if you enable 10_* and 30_* and run it once you can copy the Mint data it finds to your custom menu and disable them again.

And if you left the Mint grub menu as is, you would certainly know if and when it took over. (I have different backgrounds to easily tell the difference, but my menus are almost identical on all the OSs.) You could even go to the extreme of disabling Mint's grub commands or not installing it at all, but I probably wouldn't go that far.

I've never had a problem with installing to a USB drive for testing, and if you keep the OS booting from a main drive you won't notice much difference.

Hope you enjoy the experience.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 91 of 94 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast