Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Grub 2 Basics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Grub 2 Basics

Thank you for the help. Changed the wording from headers to image and it worked all the old stuff has been removed. Things were begining to look a little untidy. Oh and that was a little more straight forward then editing the old menu.lst that I had gotten used to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nolster12 View Post
    Oh and that was a little more straight forward then editing the old menu.lst that I had gotten used to.
    Grub 2 has the potential to be really powerful. For instance, right now I don't think there is an option in /etc/default/grub to limit the number of kernels to be displayed, but all it will take is for someone to write a simple script or add a few lines to an existing script and it will be done.

The creator of StartUp-Manager has indicated he will get around to making a StartUp-Manager 2 which will be another way of avoiding manual edits of system files.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I need help with installing grub2 to an sd card so that the sd card is bootable. I can boot the filesystem with the machine that I copied the filesystem from (I just copied the lines in /boot/grub/grub.cfg to make a new entry and changed the uuid).

I do not want to mess up the boot of the hard disk in the machine. How do I manage this? I just want it to target boot sector in the sd card and update its grub.cfg
    Last edited by maestrobwh1; September 28th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post

The creator of StartUp-Manager has indicated he will get around to making a StartUp-Manager 2 which will be another way of avoiding manual edits of system files.
    Drs305, any further word on this update to «StartUp-Manager» ?...

Henri

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mhenriday View Post
    Drs305, any further word on this update to «StartUp-Manager» ?...

Henri
    Unfortunately I haven't heard anything but that doesn't mean the dev isn't working on it. I am not connected in any way to the development of the app, other than being a user and advocate of the original.

I just checked on launchpad and the current version (1.9.12-1) was released 24 weeks ago.
    Last edited by drs305; October 5th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

I've only just started reading through your tutorial. It's very impressive.

I did notice a small error. Under section 2, "Custom User Entries", you have:

Any created file must be made executable. This can be done as root by running "sudo chmod 644 /etc/grub.d/filename".
    It should be:
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 /etc/grub.d/filename
    or,

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/filename
    The latter is probably easier to understand for those who are not familiar with the numeric mode and it's consistent with the other uses of the chmod command in your tutorial (for example, where you have turned off the executable permissions with "-x").

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquirrel View Post
    I've only just started reading through your tutorial. It's very impressive.

I did notice a small error. Under section 2, "Custom User Entries", you have:

It should be:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/filename
    Thanks. I've corrected it - I'm a "+x" kind of person myself. Don't know where I got the original value from.
    Last edited by drs305; October 6th, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Based on the above tutorial i am trying out grub2 in Jaunty. Am able to boot into Jaunty with grub2. I have also set a custom splash image.
    One query - In other previous version of grub I could set the size of the viewport window by the command - viewport 0 0 80 25. What is the equivalent command in Grub2 to change the size of the viewport window and where/how do we set this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

on my hd I have two ubuntu partitions, each with multiple kernels, customized, for testing. 30_osprober for each kernel produces the same headline with just the os-version, but no information about the selectable kernels themselves. If this would be solved, I'd see no more need to produce customized grub.conf's at all single updates. Any hints?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bluesscream View Post
    on my hd I have two ubuntu partitions, each with multiple kernels, customized, for testing. 30_osprober for each kernel produces the same headline with just the os-version, but no information about the selectable kernels themselves. If this would be solved, I'd see no more need to produce customized grub.conf's at all single updates. Any hints?
    I'm slowly developing a post for the truly anal. It would tell users how to tweak the scripts to effect title changes. Simple examples like this one: "Ubuntu 2.6.31-11" instead of"Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-11" or getting rid of the "(on sda7)".

I have several Ubuntu releases scattered on my drive and it picks them all up. A typical display in /boot/grub/grub.cfg and on boot is
    Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-9-generic (on /dev/sda9)
    The line responsible for the additional linux kernel displays should be around line 130 of /etc/grub.d/30-osprober
    Specifically, this is the line that generates the title:
    menuentry "${LLABEL} (up ${DEVICE})" {
    The LLABEL variable comes from this line, around line 126:
    LLABEL="`echo ${LINUX} | cut -d ':' -f 3 | tr '^' ' '`"
    An example of ${LLABEL} is "Ubuntu, linux 2.6.28-15-generic"

You could check your files to see if you have the same lines.

Perhaps if you have customized the names of the kernels to the point that Grub 2's os-prober is not picking them up. It seems to be doing a pretty good job for me recognizing standard kernel designations.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast